Rye Pier

Rosebud, Tootgarook, Rye, Blairgowrie, Sorrento
bigdan91

Rye Pier

Post by bigdan91 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:07 pm

Gave it a crack last night from 3:30-5ish
Only managed one decent size wrasse. Lots of old w*** going for squid and I only saw 1 little guy caught as I was packing up

Went back this morning but the wind was strong and my line kept getting clogged with drifting weed
Guy next to me got on to about 5 couta but that's all I saw

Probably give dromana or mt martha a crack this arvo

Larksy88

Re: Rye Pier

Post by Larksy88 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:11 pm

bigdan91 wrote:Gave it a crack last night from 3:30-5ish
Only managed one decent size wrasse. Lots of old w*** going for squid and I only saw 1 little guy caught as I was packing up

Went back this morning but the wind was strong and my line kept getting clogged with drifting weed

Dont even bother with Dromana, go either Martha or further south to Blairgowrie/Sorrento/Portsea

i saw a school of fish jumping out of the water there last night, cant confirm whether they were Salmon or not though because they looked a little small to be salmon, although one bit my squid jig off straight through my leader :(

bigdan91

Post by bigdan91 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:13 pm

Larksy88 wrote:
bigdan91 wrote:Gave it a crack last night from 3:30-5ish

Dont even bother with Dromana, go either Martha or further south to Blairgowrie/Sorrento/Portsea

PooDoo and i saw a school of fish jumping out of the water there last night, cant confirm whether they were Salmon or not though because they looked a little small to be salmon, although one bit my squid jig off straight through my leader :(
I saw something jumping off mt martha yesterday around 9am that looked pretty salmon like.
couldn't manage any squid though

How did you guys go?

Larksy88

Post by Larksy88 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:21 pm

PooDoo got 9, i was fishing right next to him and only mananged 1 (got 7 the day before though) that a rat took while i wasn't looking haha

bigdan91

Post by bigdan91 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:39 pm

Larksy88 wrote:PooDoo got 9, i was fishing right next to him and only mananged 1 (got 7 the day before though) that a rat took while i wasn't looking haha
think conditions look alright for squid at martha today?

Larksy88

Post by Larksy88 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:44 pm

Yeah mate the next 3 days look good, which part of those rocks do you fish for squid?

bigdan91

Post by bigdan91 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:50 pm

Larksy88 wrote:Yeah mate the next 3 days look good, which part of those rocks do you fish for squid?
I've only been there twice and haven't managed to score one yet

Tried down from hearn road and walked probably 50m either way

What about you? what size jigs do you guys catch them on? I've tried 3.0 in red and black/clear. Too big?

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:53 pm

bigdan91 wrote:
Larksy88 wrote:Yeah mate the next 3 days look good, which part of those rocks do you fish for squid?

What about you? what size jigs do you guys catch them on? I've tried 3.0 in red and black/clear. Too big?
Need to vary your jig sizes sometimes they only go for 1.8 jigs, other days 3.5 jigs. I personally reckon it is a bit too windy with an 18 knot southerly.....yesterday was 2.5 jigs.

bigdan91

Post by bigdan91 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:02 pm

poodoo wrote:
bigdan91 wrote:

Need to vary your jig sizes sometimes they only go for 1.8 jigs, other days 3.5 jigs. I personally reckon it is a bit too windy with an 18 knot southerly.....yesterday was 2.5 jigs.
do you ever tie sinkers with your small jigs to cast further?

Larksy88

Post by Larksy88 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:11 pm

bigdan91 wrote:
poodoo wrote:
bigdan91 wrote:

do you ever tie sinkers with your small jigs to cast further?
Nah no way. the smallest i own/use is 2.5, the sinker affects the sink rate of the jig, if you use braid you can get a 2.5 far enough to be in the zone

BTW Poodoo its only blowing 5 knots at the moment, Dan i would just be keeping on eye on the real time wind report, anything over 10 knots southerly is prob no good unless it goes SE/ESE

Return to “Rosebud to Sorrento/Portsea”