Caddy Point

Rosebud, Tootgarook, Rye, Blairgowrie, Sorrento
GTSHoon

Caddy Point

Post by GTSHoon » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:46 pm

As my holidays were coming to an end I decided it was time for a final trip and Mr DougieK had suggested over the holidays we should head out so when he asked if I was free on Thursday my simple answer was damn right. The plan was to go to his place the night before and drive down to Tongue Point, however staying up to watch State of Origin (GO MAROONS!) and suffering from the pre-trip insomnia we decided we were better off going to a ledge along the peninsula that is not an easy walk. You have to go down a cliff face but the surrounding area looked absolutely stunning.

So after what felt like 5 mins sleep we were up and driving at 5:45 and down to the start of the walk at about 6:50. The first 800-900 metres is uphill then it flattens out to a walk along a fence line of a property overlooking Bass Strait and some awesome looking ledges with absolutely 0 access due to the cliffs down to them. Eventually we arrived at the climb down, and bugger me it was steeper than we thought Image so after a careful decent we then climbed up on to the ledge itself and bugger me was it a beautiful place [youtube]pEQlEnA0etU[/youtube] first rod in the water was Dougie’s big nitro with a whole pilchard on 2 4/0 hook’s then we began to spin, all was going well until I started getting major wind knots which was a major frustration, after tying 2 FG knots I finally had the issue sorted and was in the process of changing lures when the nitro had its first hit, nothing massive but enough to register, after about a minute of constant bites Doug told me to just grab it and reel it in, as I was reeling there was some weight and the occasional lurch so both of us presumed it was just a swell shark, however as it neared the ledge it started pulling a lot harder leaving us slightly perplexed, finally we got it to the surface to find we had managed to catch a Blue Throat Wrasse, on a whole pilchard, we were pretty excited as I had never caught one before and they had been a fairly rare capture for the boys so far. After a bit of a clamber down some rocks to land him I had him in my hands, a seriously pretty fish (even if they’re almost impossible to handle) after a quick snap Image he was back in the water to fight another day.
Spurred on by this capture I decided to put a bait out on my nitro viper, and as soon as the bait had hit the bottom I was on again, this time to a common wrasse which managed to throw the hook, however on the retrieve I had another big blue throat follow and harass this fish all the way into the ledge. After rebaiting I cast back out and bang on again this time on to another decent sized blue throat and this time Doug had the camera on me
[youtube]nxZDpkO41-4[/youtube] this constant stream of wrasse continued.
While Doug continued to spin, eventually he decided to have a go with my rod while I went back to lures and finally he was into his first fish of the day, quickly followed by another before swapping back to lures, this time a big Berkley Curl Tail on a 1oz jig head resulting in constant hits, never one to let an opportunity like this slip I swapped over to a 6” Berkley Nemesis on a 1/2oz 3/0 jig head, first cast I was on, to yet another wrasse! I couldn’t get anything past them, not that I am complaining, damn these blue throat fight hard!
After a quick pic he went back to, as I was releasing him Dougie hooked up on his SP, this time to something a bit different, a pike! Was awesome as I had never seen one of these weird looking fish before and it’s always nice to see a new species, knocking him on the head we slid out a fillet to see if anything bigger was around to no avail.
Lots of fish followed of which I will upload pictures later as my computer is having a mental break down :o_0:
By this time the tide had turned and waves had begun breaking up over the ledge so we decided to pull the pin. First however we went for a wonder to see what else was around, no fishing spots were found, however the scenery was amazing
WP_20150709_012.jpg
WP_20150709_010.jpg
WP_20150709_009.jpg
WP_20150709_005.jpg
WP_20150709_004.jpg
WP_20150709_003.jpg
the walk back out was even more difficult as we had to climb down the side of the ledge, the last 10 metres of which I did on my arse much to Dougie’s amusement. Before walking back out of the spot to the car, this time we took the cliff top route and I wasn’t complaining, the scenery was stunning yet again
By this time we were starving so into flinders we went for a Pie, turned out there was only Vegie Korma ones, however they were freaking delicious and hit the spot nicely! We were gonna head down to Flinders Pier for squid however the tide was a long, long way out so we decided just to have a look around down near Cape Schanck yet another nice place and was quite a pleasant way to wait for the afternoon and the call of salmon at Gunners. It was on this walk we decided on a name for the ledge which we had just fished, one we are sure no one else has as there is no rubbish, paths and was quite a walk even for Doug who is a pretty fit bloke. After much discussion we narrowed it down to 1. Caddy Point (as Doug had decided I was his lure caddy) or 2. Blue point (After all the wrasse) after a brief discussion the decision was made that Caddy Point was the way to go and now it is forever immortalised as “Caddy Point”
By about 3 we decided it was time to chase some salmon so off we went, got down to the beach and begun the long walk up and down, about halfway along our first lap we ran into Ian (4litres) who joined our group, and who had never caught a salmon, we found a nice hole and since both Mine and Dougie’s legs felt like they were about to fall off we decided to wait and cast for about 10 minutes, it was then Doug got the first salmon for the day, a baby of about 25cm, quickly followed by Ian’s first ever, just over the minimum length, however it was a salmon so he was pretty stoked, this was followed by a brief lull where I was left to question what I had done to allow the salmon to forsake me, until we spotted Mr G’s fluros off in the distance and suddenly on that retrieve. SMACK I couldn’t wind anymore and I had hooked a decent enough salmon, this one went 43cm and fought pretty well,
WP_20150709_017.jpg
after this it’s the classic gunners madness with multiple hook ups and a few fish landed, I ended up with 4, 3 of which I gave to Ian for gummy bait, the other I released, Ian got 2, Dougie got 3 and Carl only got 1 more to add to his 58cm from under the stairs! The bastard always has to show everyone up ;)
After a stunning sunset it was time to make the drive back to Doncaster, via Mrs K’s place for a quick Parma and a chat.
It was a fantastic day even if we didn’t catch a real “Trophy Fish” However I did thoroughly enjoy myself and can’t wait to fish a ledge again.
My final tally for the day was 7 blue throat wrasse; 4 over 40cm, 3 normal wrasse and 4 salmon.
Doug ended up with 2 Blue Throat, 1 normal wrasse, 1 Pike and 3 salmon
So all in all a fairly productive day with some real highlights; 1. Being me hooking a big clump of weed that tore line off my 15-24kg tcurve and had me convinced I had hooked a ray, 2. Somehow losing a handful of mussels much to Dougie’s amusement, 3. Sliding down the hill on my arse and 4. Doug tying 8 leader knots throughout the course of the day.
A massive thanks to Doug for taking a complete noob out and showing me the ropes, now all we need next time is a big red fish and all will be right in the world
Cam
WP_20150709_014.jpg
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Caddy Point

Post by BIG GAV » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:31 pm

Great report!
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

safia

Post by safia » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:31 pm

loving your reports man, keep it up :a_goodjob:

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:39 pm

Great report

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:58 pm

Epic day. Pretty stuffed on the walk back up Gunnamatta.

My highlight of the day was Cam doing the last 10ish metres of the walk back down on his ass and leaving this perfect untouched piece of wildernerness with butt drag marks through it.

This is the ledge in the scouting video I posted a while back if anyone is interested, co ords here.... -38.489079, 144.954432 and walk in from here -38.481941, 144.968608
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:59 pm

Great report & pics mate :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:05 pm

Love the scenery pics, good fish and great report, cheers davo :thumbsup:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:16 pm

davek wrote:Love the scenery pics, good fish and great report,
Pity about the company.....

LBG Season 2023/4 :

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:45 pm

Thanks everyone! Glad you enjoy it :woohoo:
DougieK wrote:
davek wrote:Love the scenery pics, good fish and great report,
Pity about the company.....
I know Dougie, I mean who wants to go fishing with a guy who ties 8 new leader knots through the day :icon_lolz:
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:47 pm

That's what i get for using $2 a spool leader.....

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Return to “Rosebud to Sorrento/Portsea”