Sorrento Pier 14/03/2016

Rosebud, Tootgarook, Rye, Blairgowrie, Sorrento
Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Re: Sorrento Pier 14/03/2016

Post by Basti » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:56 pm

stevie try burleying up on a run in tide. it takes the scent into the pylons and you might draw a school of trev or luderick out from them. heaps of tommy rough around too usually. some of those trevs are horses in disguise.

Stevieboy

Post by Stevieboy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:04 pm

Thanks basti I definitely will... Anything u recommend in particular for burley off a pier? I did buy a pellet burley from big w a while back (teal color packet) and didn't think it did sweet fk all lol... Probably the **** quality of pellet... My partner took our bernese mountain dog for a swim yesterday around about 6pm down near the pier and took a video of it at low tide. First thing I see in the water all around my dog and where she was standing was the bait fish all around them I couldn't believe how big they where and how many where around them! Think I might be fishing tomorrow morning or tomorrow night!! Day off tomorrow woohoo!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:09 pm

Stevieboy wrote:Yeah the misses is into fishing but she used to go out as a kid with her old man on his boat. Now he doesn't have a boat and nor do I and her philosophy is you don't catch sh*t off a pier... Well I'm finally starting to prove her wrong :) When I get a boat one day I'm sure she will always come out with me.

Thanks for the tip 4liters have lost a few jigs there is definitely some reef off Sorrento Pier.
You have definitely proved her wrong mate :thumbsup: 6 squid in a session land based isn't bad at all :thumbsup:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:35 pm

Stevieboy wrote:Thanks basti I definitely will... Anything u recommend in particular for burley off a pier? I did buy a pellet burley from big w a while back (teal color packet) and didn't think it did sweet fk all lol... Probably the sh*t quality of pellet... My partner took our bernese mountain dog for a swim yesterday around about 6pm down near the pier and took a video of it at low tide. First thing I see in the water all around my dog and where she was standing was the bait fish all around them I couldn't believe how big they where and how many where around them! Think I might be fishing tomorrow morning or tomorrow night!! Day off tomorrow woohoo!
I puree leftover bait and mix it with oats, bread crumbs or chook pellets. Tuna oil will do if you don't have any old bait lying around. Or you could just get a tin of cat food. The finer you're able to mash it all up the better the scent will disperse. I was able to draw heaps of fish out from under the pier at Portarlington by throwing a spoonful of it a few meters out from the pylons.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:03 pm

I dont know about pier fishing, but I would imagine its the same fish we are targetting. I buy 40kg of chook pellets, and mix in some tuna oil and water. Mix it all up in a bucket and chuck it out regularly. It seems to get fish into a frenzy off WPB. Ive used it religiously over the last 4-5 months, and on my boat have caught literally (300-400 whiting) this summer. it is noticeable when you are using it and when you arent.

I dont fish anymore unless I have burley.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:14 pm

the ultrabite stuff you can buy works well, but even bread mushed up with a couple of tins of catfood and seawater has worked there. the suggestions put up by the guys are probably your best bet though. cheap and effective. best burley i ever used was home made with about 5 tubs of expired aquarium fish food i found in a cabinet mixed with chook pellets. i only had enough for 3 sessions on the gars but it drove them absolutely nuts.

Stevieboy

Post by Stevieboy » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:41 am

Cheers all, think its about time I invested in some decent burley mix. Thanks for all the tips and info misses is going away monday/tuesday so think I no what ill be up to :)

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:44 pm

Stevieboy wrote:Cheers all, think its about time I invested in some decent burley mix. Thanks for all the tips and info misses is going away monday/tuesday so think I no what ill be up to :)
I bet you can't wait mate! Good luck and I hope you catch a few :thumbsup:

Stevieboy

Post by Stevieboy » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:05 pm

Going out Monday night got an incoming tide for a spot I've been told about will hopefully report back with some good pics and news :)

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:06 pm

Stevieboy wrote:Going out Monday night got an incoming tide for a spot I've been told about will hopefully report back with some good pics and news :)
Will you be giving it a go from Sorrento pier again mate?

Return to “Rosebud to Sorrento/Portsea”