Wanted info/help with Sand Crabs

Rosebud, Tootgarook, Rye, Blairgowrie, Sorrento
ioriz

Wanted info/help with Sand Crabs

Post by ioriz » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:02 am

Does anyone know or have caught sand crabs or spider crabs at the following locations Rosebud to Sorrento/Portsea recently? Im thinking to head down during Australia Day. If you are a regular diver around the location please help thanks.

azkay

Re: Wanted info/help with Sand Crabs

Post by azkay » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:59 pm

I'd be interested if anyone has any recommendations on their preparation. I get a few sand crabs -I think- along the great ocean road with short casts. Is it as simple as just boiling or steaming? Any tips? Or things I should be aware of?
Az.

rixter

Post by rixter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:25 pm

I did a topic on sand crabs a while back, this is the thread if your interested.....
viewtopic.php?f=147&t=6110&hilit=+sand+crabs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:28 pm

ioriz wrote:Does anyone know or have caught sand crabs or spider crabs at the following locations Rosebud to Sorrento/Portsea recently? Im thinking to head down during Australia Day. If you are a regular diver around the location please help thanks.
2 posts in almost a year of being on the forum? For the record I dont think you can eat spider crabs. They have hardy any meat in them. Saw a cpl of ppl fishing for crabs(with a hoop net) on tuesday at portsea but pretty sure they got donuts.
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

rixter

Post by rixter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:32 pm

There is 'large/huge' spider crabs which are fully eatable. Then there is also the small spider/soldier crabs which are used for bait , nothing on them worth eating.

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:22 am

rixter wrote:There is 'large/huge' spider crabs which are fully eatable. Then there is also the small spider/soldier crabs which are used for bait , nothing on them worth eating.

Cheers , Rick.
I've seen the larger ones en masse off rosebud and rye while diving but didnt realise you could eat them. The ones im referring to have slender legs and a spiny carapace. At times they stack on themselves a meter high :-o
When I got time,
been fishin since a kid,

Deeky

Post by Deeky » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:03 am

I've caught spider crabs off rye at night when their on mass, personally I don't like eating them too much seem to be much more salty and effort to cook, sand crabs are much better and easier to work with...

I usually hit rye (sometimes rosebud pier) in the afternoon/evening usually an older gentleman there as well who tends to catch a whole bunch more then I can... I haven't found any crabs at stony point last time I was there but will try Rixters instructions and see how it goes

azkay

Post by azkay » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:12 am

rixter wrote:I did a topic on sand crabs a while back, this is the thread if your interested.....
viewtopic.php?f=147&t=6110&hilit=+sand+crabs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers , Rick.
Thanks Rick!
Az.

matthead

Post by matthead » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:46 pm

Shazz, one day blokes are asking for new members to contribute, the next day they're getting smart ass comments for doin so???

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:12 pm

matthead wrote:Shazz, one day blokes are asking for new members to contribute, the next day they're getting smart ass comments for doin so???
Think what you like to think, but im willing to give some great tips and advice to ppl who contribute. The OP has contributed little to the forum at this point. I encourage them to post more, but I think we both know thats unlikely, given his record. btw my definition of contributing is actually that, giving back to the forum with experiences(good or bad), reports and maybe pix. Have you anything positive to contribute to this discussion "matthead"......

ps checked on you posts and wanted to let you know that 'dbl header' is an actual fish ;) http://www.flickr.com/photos/dittmars/3233063025/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When I got time,
been fishin since a kid,

Return to “Rosebud to Sorrento/Portsea”