Lake Wellington help!

charchi89

Lake Wellington help!

Post by charchi89 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:26 pm

Hi guys,

I'm after any advice on fishing Lake Wellington. I have fished a few of the freshwaters creeks and rivers around there but this weekend we are going out on my mates little tinny hoping to catch. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys,
Chase

sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Re: Lake Wellington help!

Post by sandef » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:39 pm

you have to check how much freshwater is coming down the rivers the lake is shallow i would only go onto the lake if the water is clear the straits might be better fish in the system are mainly bream ,mullet, flathead and small tailor

charchi89

Post by charchi89 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:21 pm

Thanks for the help mate! What bait would you suggest using? And any spots that you could recommend? Have no idea about the place and can't find much on it

sandef

Post by sandef » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:15 pm

sandworms or soft plastics you can launch at seacombe and then go towards lake wellington or hollings landing just watch out for the roos there are plenty after dark

charchi89

Post by charchi89 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:06 am

Awesome thanks mate! Do you know anything about fishing la trobe river when it hits lake wellington? Any lures you would suggest? Do you know if you can take a tinny into la trobe river?

Thanks mate!

sandef

Post by sandef » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:20 am

don't about the latrobe except its probably full of carp

nickb123

Post by nickb123 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:53 pm

latrobe is full of carp and eel lol you might get the odd bream at the mouth or ep's in secret spots thats all I'm saying lol
Cheers Nick

charchi89

Post by charchi89 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:55 pm

Ok thanks guys! We were planning on fishing at the mouth of la trobe river. I suppose we will just go out there and hope the the best!

charchi89

Post by charchi89 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:33 pm

Hi guys, late reply but better late than never. We launched the boat at hollands landing early saturday morning and fished the south and south west side of lake victoria. We also fished mclennans straight. After almost 10 hours of nothing we decided to call it a day. One of the guys at the tackle shop in sale suggested prawns and sandworms and also these small hard bodied lures he said were dynamite on bream. We fished near any structure we could find and some nice deep spots. We used both bait and lures and didn't get a single nibble. We spoke to a few of the guys fishing around the jetty and it seems sand worms and chicken was the best bait for the day. Most of the guys there referred to it as lake disappointment haha. Even though we didn't catch it was still good to get out on the water and wet a line!

Thanks

Chase

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”