My Bemm River Report

Bugalugs

My Bemm River Report

Post by Bugalugs » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:36 pm

Hi folks,
sorry for the delay but I haven't been online much since returning from Bemm River.
We spent 5 nights down there from the 9th-16th Oct. Our accommodation was booked through Mark at the Bait n Tackle Shop and it suited the 3 of us perfectly. One double bed and a single and two bunks, with full kitchen and bathroom facilities, large 2nd freezer, and plenty of firewood for the wood heater if it got cold at night.
We fished from a 12 foot tinnie mainly over in the river. We got a total of 126 bream and 2 flathead. The bream ranged from 17cm up to 39cm and the 2 flatties were 44cm and 55cm. Most fish were caught on bait using either sandworm or frozen prawn. We got a couple of garden worms and about half a dozen on blades. Surprisingly we only got a couple of bites on freshly caught live shrimp, which I thought would have been the gun bait. A bit disappointing we didn't get any, but one pleasing aspect of the trip was I managed to refine my technique on blades and had a much better success rate than in the past. But - I had many many more hits than hook-ups so perhaps I might need to work on that a bit more. Or could it have been the hooks on the blade? I dunno, but I was happy to get more hits on the blades this time.
We tried some SP's but didn't really give it a good enough go on them to say if they would have been successful.
Most of the fish were over in the river with a few caught in the lake and a few in the channel. Apparently the channel had LOTS of bream in there, waiting for the right spawning conditions, but seeing as our sounder packed up the day before the trip, we couldn't us it to find them. (and we only found out on our last day that they were schooled up in the channel - grrrrr)
Now with the entrance opened it could be a bit of a guessing game where the fish have moved to. The entrance had to be opened last week due to the car park of the boat ramp starting to flood. Hopefully it says open longer than 2 weeks this time. There's heaps of water coming down the system so maybe that will keep it open for a while.
Anyway - that's my report for what it's worth - hopefully someone gets some info from it.
Cheers
Neil.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: My Bemm River Report

Post by purple5ive » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:41 pm

Nice report mate.
With the blades always strike if you feel anything odd.
I would love to be up there catching that much beam.
Awesome report. How much was the accommodation. .
Cheers

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:44 pm

Nice report mate!

Did you rent a tinny or does one of you own it?

I really like that place but have only visited briefly, would love to spend a week there.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Bugalugs

Post by Bugalugs » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:58 pm

Yeah, with the blades I was watching the line and anything I saw or felt different to normal, I did strike, but I still missed quite a few unfortunately. But I was happy to be getting hits anyway.
The accommodation was $105 a night for 3 guys. Nice and close to the shop and the boat ramp is only a short drive as well.
We had our own tinnie which has a 15hp motor on it, so with 3 guys in the boat it takes a while to get across the lake, but we manage ok. Just gotta watch out for the S/W winds which can whip up the lake a bit.
We usually make our trip 6 days/5 nights which includes the drive there and home again. We love it, and can't wait to get back there.
Our next big trip is off to the Glenelg River at Nelson, but that wont be till next year sometime.

muzza43
Has liked: 104 times

Post by muzza43 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:05 pm

Good report, sounds like a good trip all round. Cheers muzza43.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:22 pm

Great trip can't beat away trips with no anchors only fishing to concentrate on

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:56 pm

Great report Bugalugs sounds like you had an excellent trip mate :a_goodjob:

Cheers Steve
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Joker91
Has liked: 111 times

Post by Joker91 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:19 pm

nice report mate.. cant say ive caught a bream before but hopefully ill try it one day :)

Bugalugs

Post by Bugalugs » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:23 am

Thanks guys - yep it was a top trip - it always is, and all of us enjoy it down there. It's a fair drive from Melbourne, but certainly worth it.
Joker - if you head down there, you're certain to land a few bream. Even if you're land based, there's quite a few spots to target, but obviously having a boat makes things a lot easier.
Talk to Mark in the shop and he can usually tell you where they're biting or where to try.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”