Buckle&scream

Re: Tidal River

Post by Buckle&scream » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:00 pm

Excellent results good fishing!

specka

Post by specka » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:15 pm

Hi All,
I've just joined the site, and I hope I am not doing the wrong thing by reviving an old thread. I've read all the threads I can find on this location, I do still have some questions I hope someon might be able to answer.

Im pretty new to fishing, although I fished a lot as a kid in the inland creeks, reservoirs and dams of Victoria. I visit Tidal River annually but never fished there. This year I want to give it a go. Im familiar that everything south of Tidal River is Marine National Park. My real questions are about where to fish then?
Not asking people to give up their secret spots but if I look at a map (such as the one attached) I am trying to work out the ideal locations...closer to the ocean or where it narrows down further inland?

I am considering taking a drive out to Shallow Inlet also. Does anyone know if this is worthwhile without a boat?

Sorry for the probably uneducated questions. Thanks for any help.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

bilby

Post by bilby » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:42 pm

Shallow Inlet is great, but if you are planning on walking to the mouth, you need to know a few things up front. The west side is snaggy in parts, so you need to walk a long way to the mouth to reach clear water for surf style fishing. Be careful of the tide, though, because at high tide, it is almost impossible to walk without getting wet! I've caught some very big salmon at the mouth. On the Sandy Point side, again, if you choose to walk in, be VERY careful as there are areas that are very much like quicksand - if you go in to your knees or worse, just lie flat across the sand to get out, then back track! Otherwise, fishing further up the inlet towards Sandy Point seems to be the go.

Tidal River wise, I've only ever fished land based from the beach near the bridge or up on the boardwalk. I've caught lots of mullet at night on a rising tide, bream on crab baits, and some mighty estuary perch on lures. It's a great spot, but can be frustrating when the bait fish are all that's around.

specka

Post by specka » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:48 pm

Hi Bilby - thanks very much for the information. I think by the sounds of it I am probably not equipped for the type of fishing at Shallow Inlet. I was more thinking estuary style fishing from the shore/bank, I don't have big surf rods or anything like that.

I think for this trip Ill start out at the spots you mention in Tidal River and make my way inland depending on conditions and tide etc.

Fingers-crossed!!

bilby

Post by bilby » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:05 pm

You can easily fish from the bank over towards Sandy Point. Also worth a try is Darby River on the way in to Tidal River - it has the same species, although a little trickier to get access along the banks. It isn't fished very much at all, though.

specka

Post by specka » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:09 pm

Thanks again mate

Fisho11
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Fisho11 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:13 am

I went paddleboarding there on a school camp in October, The widest open pool near the boat ramp has some nice sized bream there from what I Saw. Also a few Mullet.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”