Brodribb River, 17/02

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Brodribb River, 17/02

Post by Whiskers » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:33 pm

Fished the Brodribb yesterday afternoon, landbased off the banks, not too far from the new boat ramp near the Marlo road.

The fishing was good with plenty of bream on the chew, no monsters but quite a few fish around 35cm.

All was good until Sammy the Seal put in an appearance. The fish shut down in an instant. Nothing, nada, not even a picker to suck a prawn!

Although Sammy was a pain it was entertaining to watch him charge up and down the river. At one stage he caught a largish fish and spent a good twenty minutes tossing it from one side of the river to the other and then back again.

He (Sammy) was a big fella too. He'd obviously been in a good paddock over summer.
:water:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Brodribb River, 17/02

Post by Lightningx » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:04 pm

Sounds like it wasn’t a bad session until Sammy came and ruined it.
Has happened to me many times so know the feeling...

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:14 pm

Sounds good whiskers, I'm coming for a few days first week of March to lakes entrance so may do a day trip to marlo
Were u bait fishing or lure

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:22 pm

Nice I lightly fished french narrows over the weekend But didn't get anything special.

I was told the brodribb was decent but didn't know u could access it LB. Good to know

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:31 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:22 pm
Nice I lightly fished french narrows over the weekend But didn't get anything special.

I was told the brodribb was decent but didn't know u could access it LB. Good to know
so when are we going to see a report of your recent camping and fishing trip ?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:33 pm

Whiskers wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:33 pm
Fished the Brodribb yesterday afternoon, landbased off the banks, not too far from the new boat ramp near the Marlo road.

The fishing was good with plenty of bream on the chew, no monsters but quite a few fish around 35cm.

All was good until Sammy the Seal put in an appearance. The fish shut down in an instant. Nothing, nada, not even a picker to suck a prawn!

Although Sammy was a pain it was entertaining to watch him charge up and down the river. At one stage he caught a largish fish and spent a good twenty minutes tossing it from one side of the river to the other and then back again.

He (Sammy) was a big fella too. He'd obviously been in a good paddock over summer.
:water:
That's good to hear, but shame about the seal. they can just drag themselves over the sand dunes and wreck havoc in the estuary.

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:37 am

Sounds great did u baitfish or lure

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:58 am

purple5ive wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:31 pm
Kimtown wrote:

so when are we going to see a report of your recent camping and fishing trip ?
I've got it all on film

There isn't much to report on since we only fished the estuary/beach for a couple hours at most resulting in some salmon, rays and a few bite offs

But we did get close to our bag of abs each day and speared some whiting, drummer etc. and got A LOT of prawns, albeit small.

tbcha1
Has liked: 12 times

Post by tbcha1 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:51 am

Kimtown wrote:

we were down at Marlo a couple weeks back and did ok. Were u using bait or lures? bait wasnt doing much down there
all the fish we caught were on squidgy bio grubs and zman grubs.

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:06 am

Interesting to read these posts. I have just returned to mid north coast NSW from my annual February week at Bemm River. Fishing was the quietest I can remember for Bemm. Three of us worked hard, bringing home only one or two fish between us on a couple of days but we managed enough for the full week, although larger bream were hard to find.
We only fished bait (prawns) but the fish we did catch bit as enthusiastically as ever. It just seemed as if there were simply less fish there to be caught. Maybe a couple of factors contributed. The entrance has been closed since August and the water level is very high - approaching opening levels. There are no local prawns or sandworms and Mark at the shop has been buying in bait prawns from elsewhere. Lastly, a bloody big seal cavorted around and thumbed his nose at us several times. It might have been charming if fish hadn't been scarce enough already!

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”