90 Mile advice (around Seaspray)

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: 90 Mile advice (around Seaspray)

Post by Scraglor » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:27 pm

junior wrote:Great fishing here today. Plenty of salmon and tailor caught on halco twisties and a couple of guys pulled some big salmon on poppers. The fish are swimming very close to shore.
Great work mate! Sounds like ur in for a ripper trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:10 pm

junior wrote:Great fishing here today. Plenty of salmon and tailor caught on halco twisties and a couple of guys pulled some big salmon on poppers. The fish are swimming very close to shore.
:a_goodjob: Well done mate. When the conditions are right Seaspray is an awesome place to fish.
There some huge flatties there too. Got my biggest one there the beginning of this year at 55cm.
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Aaronvgp

Post by Aaronvgp » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:31 am

I love going down to seaspray, my parents have a house in the honeysuckles. I usually go off the beach at honeysuckles unless the creek mouth is open then I'll go off the beach at the mouth. Love the rocks off government road as well. Caught a huge eel there last year. I've tried lures in the creek but no success, but then I'm not terribly experienced with lures and only just started using them. I usually use a float if the creek isn't moving fast. I've only caught little stuff in there, although one time I hooked something big, it bent my hook straight.
How do you fish the creek there? Are there any particular spots along the beach that are better than others?

Aaronvgp

Post by Aaronvgp » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:01 am

When fishing in the surf I have only used a basic surf rig using one bait and one popper with a star sinker on the bottom. Are there other rigs people use? While that's in the water should I try throwing some lures out?

Sam Sneed

Post by Sam Sneed » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:17 am

I think you'd have more success while having the surf rod in your hands. You might miss alot of those nibbling bites if you have parked on the sand.

I recommend its one or the other and stick to it. Differences, surf rod try find a good hole and stay. Fish will move in and out that hole. Lures is a bit like hunting. You have to move up and down the beach find the fish. Fish might be in the smallest holes or even the shallows.

Anyway thats my 2 Bob's [THUMBS UP SIGN]

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:02 pm

Aaronvgp wrote:When fishing in the surf I have only used a basic surf rig using one bait and one popper with a star sinker on the bottom. Are there other rigs people use? While that's in the water should I try throwing some lures out?
People also use a pulley rig which is like a running paternosta.

Bait fishing in the surf is like trying to bring the fish to you via burley or waiting for them to come through. Lure fishing is more active and you need to look for the fish. Lure fishing is more fun you can be light and go for a walk till you find them.

Aaronvgp

Post by Aaronvgp » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:50 pm

Thanks guys. I've never really learnt how to identify where holes are etc. I just walk to the beach, throw a line in and wait. Is there an easy way to identify where holes are?
I don't know if anyone knows the little river that runs by seaspray but I love going there too when the surf is bad. I usually use a float if it's not flowing or bait if it is. I've tried lures a couple of times with no success at all. Do any types of lures work better than others there? There's bream, luderick, mullet, salmon, perch and eels. It's usually small stuff but I did hook something big in there that bent my Jarvis walker bait holder 4 hook straight.

Sam Sneed

Post by Sam Sneed » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:06 pm

https://youtu.be/RQPXu-TsMKU

https://youtu.be/ZlF_Hy3kNLY

Haven't been at seaspray yet. But all beaches should be the same.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:12 pm

Look for areas where the waves aren't breaking or the water looks darker.

For example you might see waves breaking further out, then the foam disappears as the wave approaches the shore and it only breaks a second time close in. Waves break in shallower water, so no waves breaking generally = deeper water.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:29 pm

General Guide

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”