Anderson Inlet variety.

Dizzy

Anderson Inlet variety.

Post by Dizzy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:48 am

Have just started fishing again regularly now that I have a fishing Kayak. Living near Inverloch I've ventured to Andersons Inlet several times over the past few weeks. Have done okay off the sandbar just out from angling club with a couple of nice salmon and the occasional flattie. (Amongst the little flatties that go back).
Have tried a different location last three times. Into a gutter off a sandbank out from sailing club with some what looked like herring (didnt keep them) and a nice size salmon that threw the hook just as i was landing him.
Tried stevies gutter near the large sandbank towards the mouth and got a nice pinky and some more salmon last week and yesterday was back at stevies near the bend and had a few good bites but apart from some just legal flatties and a wrasse not much else apart from lots of weed.
Was fishing the rising tide yesterday and i must admit I've never had luck fishing stevies gutter.
But if members could perhaps answer me two questions?
When is the best time/tide to fish stevies? I hear the whiting are around there but I am yet to catch a whiting, anywhere...although I'm dying to. Any tipsmon catchin AI whiting?
And what are the thoughts on eating wrasse? The one i caught yesterday was a good size and i was planning on eating it but ive since read conflicting opinions on them as an eating fish.
But I'll be out there again as soon as the shoulder heals from surgery.
Cheers
Last edited by Dizzy on Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: Anderson Inlet variety.

Post by hornet » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:59 am

From my limited trips to Inverloch all my whiting have come from pensioners corner land based, pipi, squid and small prawn for baits, running sinker rig, incoming tide.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Dizzy

Post by Dizzy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:14 pm

Thanks Hornet. Hopefully the more I fish there I'll gain in experience and be able to snag a few good ones.

mcbain

Post by mcbain » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:46 pm

I was down at inverloch about a month ago managed 1 whiting 40cm and a 43 cm flathead. got the whiting on a whole pilchard on circle hook. I was fishing straight out the front from the kids play park area. i was only casting 15 - 20 m from the bank due to the incoming tide. Was using a paternoster rig. goodluck

Cross Dogs

Post by Cross Dogs » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:53 am

G'day Dizzy,
I've been kayak fishing Stevies most school holidays for the past 3 years. The strike rate is low and the accumulation of knowledge is slow, but I'll list what I have learnt so far.
Fish the hour before and after low tide. Mid-tide has the water moving too fast through Stevies, makes life very difficult. High-tide allows them to access the flats so you lose the advantage of having them localized.
Study google maps to get an indication as to where the weed edges and holes are. Stevies Gutter splits into two channels. The southern edge of the northern channel has been the best for me. Plenty of whiting move through The Snags (main channel back toward Point Smyth) also.
There must be some wind ripple otherwise the whiting will not bite. If it is dead calm, you are out of luck. If you can see them, they can see you, and they are very self-conscious.
You can pump bass yabbies from the big flats in the middle. They love pipis in Stevies too. The guts of the pipi need to be right on the hook tip.
I use paternoster, only enough weight to hold the bottom (this will change in one trip). Might be wise to have 2 droppers with long shank/shiners. When a little school arrives you literally have a 2-5min window before they move on. Sometimes even fighting and landing the one big fish can send the rest packing. Burley theoretically helps here, but the fast flow of the water carries the burley way too fast in my experience. I'm still experimenting myself.
Good luck ... might see you out there on my sand coloured aquayak.

Cross Dogs

Post by Cross Dogs » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:56 am

Oh and I throw the wrasse back ... why even compare KGW to wrasse!! haha. I prefer Andersons flathead over KGW though and this Autumn am going to chase those on the flats with surface lures as an experiment.

Dizzy

Post by Dizzy » Sun May 21, 2017 1:07 pm

Cross dogs, thanks for all of that wonderful info brother. Have found a sweet spot where I have done well with pinkies, trevally and salmon, but still no whiting. Although probably too cold for them now. I also have a sand coloured kayak, always have my maroon milk crate hooked up in the back. I'll keep a look out for you. I usually launch from angling club but have been going off boat ramp lately.

Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Blueyed1 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:20 pm

Wrasse are OK to eat. When I catch them I keep them. Fillet them and pan fry with some butter or olive oil. Sprinkle a bit of all purpose seasoning. The flesh is quite soft but tasty.

Joe

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sun May 21, 2017 7:18 pm

Cross Dogs wrote:G'day Dizzy,
I've been kayak fishing Stevies most school holidays for the past 3 years. The strike rate is low and the accumulation of knowledge is slow, but I'll list what I have learnt so far.
Fish the hour before and after low tide. Mid-tide has the water moving too fast through Stevies, makes life very difficult. High-tide allows them to access the flats so you lose the advantage of having them localized.
Study google maps to get an indication as to where the weed edges and holes are. Stevies Gutter splits into two channels. The southern edge of the northern channel has been the best for me. Plenty of whiting move through The Snags (main channel back toward Point Smyth) also.
There must be some wind ripple otherwise the whiting will not bite. If it is dead calm, you are out of luck. If you can see them, they can see you, and they are very self-conscious.
You can pump bass yabbies from the big flats in the middle. They love pipis in Stevies too. The guts of the pipi need to be right on the hook tip.
I use paternoster, only enough weight to hold the bottom (this will change in one trip). Might be wise to have 2 droppers with long shank/shiners. When a little school arrives you literally have a 2-5min window before they move on. Sometimes even fighting and landing the one big fish can send the rest packing. Burley theoretically helps here, but the fast flow of the water carries the burley way too fast in my experience. I'm still experimenting myself.
Good luck ... might see you out there on my sand coloured aquayak.
That's a top post mate.

Cross Dogs

Post by Cross Dogs » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:03 pm

Flicking lures on the flats was a failed experiment a couple of months back, but when the water temp increases again I'll give it a more concerted effort. Now that winter is here, it's time to chase some torpedo's from the beaches. I find Anderson's to be VERY slow during winter.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”