Paynesville surrounds info; King, Victoria etc..

Cuda
Has liked: 2 times

Paynesville surrounds info; King, Victoria etc..

Post by Cuda » Mon May 08, 2017 8:16 pm

Hi guys.
I was hoping someone could give me some general info about this area at Xmas/New year time.
We're looking at holidaying in Paynesville, taking the boat along and was wondering about the conditions and fish varieties at that time of the year.
I was looking at getting a place with a private jetty.. taking a 16' tinny.First of all I'd like to have nice calm conditions so I can take the kids out on the boat for a few hours a day.
Does it get windy in Lake Vic and King down there? When it does get windy is it still comfortable to "cruise" around and/or fish in there?
What variety of fish do you get there around that time of year and what techniques (bait, lures etc..).
Any info/input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks very much :cheers:

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: Paynesville surrounds info; King, Victoria etc..

Post by cobby » Mon May 08, 2017 9:14 pm

I've been across from Paynesville to the Tambo in 35 knots in a 146r as it was safer that towing it behind the cruiser in those conditions. It was choppy, 3/4m-1m, but far from heart in mouth stuff and quite fun in the little boat.

Can't help with the fishing as it's been years, but bream are always around the jetties

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue May 09, 2017 4:45 am

Agreed with cobby. Chops up really bad in a big wind but it's really short stuff.

Bream literally on every pier and pylon. Unweighted baits with small hooks is the go. If fishing lures I'd only fish open water if chasing flatties. So much structure to cast to. The straight can be like Bourke street at times though.

Cuda

Post by Cuda » Tue May 09, 2017 12:56 pm

Thanks very much, guys. Sounds manageable even in some wind.I certainly wouldn't take the boat out in 35 kn winds, but hope they are note too frequent down there. If there are any other suggestions/input.... I'm all ears..
Cheers

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Tue May 09, 2017 1:28 pm

if the weather chops up, there are some protected bays to head in for some bream action. newlands arm, duck arm, eagle point & the mitchell river are all within a short boat trip from paynesville. Further away are the nicholson & tambo rivers for bream & flatties, or head up to blond or jones bays. If you bottom bash with some baits drifting you'll pick up flatties & some bream. towards the metung there are some great sand flats and the whiting may be around. google up the local fishing reports and they will help you with whats biting & where.
quid est quod eum

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue May 09, 2017 1:28 pm

Always plenty of wind down here. Lake King and lake vic can cut up pretty bad at times. Mostly during a big South Westerly blow. There are a lot of sheltered spots like. mc Millian straits. Bunga back arm, Newlands arm.In northerly winds you can go around the south side of Raymond Island. In the summer afternoon easterlies you can go to the north side of Raymond island.
Just don't head down to metung for lunch when a big south west change is due.
I don't fish around that area so can't help much on that. By all reports it is better lake fishing up there than around Lakes Entrance.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Cuda

Post by Cuda » Tue May 09, 2017 5:51 pm

re-tyred wrote:Always plenty of wind down here.
That's what I didn't want to hear LOL, but it's certainly good to know.
How is it with mossies and flies? Heard they might be a problem sometimes too.
Does any Taylor venture into there around that time of the year?
Thanks all again!! :thumbsup:

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue May 09, 2017 6:24 pm

Taylor are mostly late summer to early winter. Mossies yes if it is a wet year. Flies , we are out in the bush, so yes. We all seem to cope though.
Should be flatties, bream and maybe whiting around by xmas.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Cuda

Post by Cuda » Wed May 10, 2017 9:48 pm

Thanks again, mate.

ango

Post by ango » Thu May 11, 2017 10:11 pm

Wind tends to come up around lunchtime so its good to get out in the morning & come home for lunch. At that time of the year flathead and bream can be caught but they can be very localised and you have to search them out, it can take a few days to get onto them and can be challenging. Mossies come out in spring, flies in summer so expect a few around Xmas.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”