Swordfish out of Lakes Entrance

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Swordfish out of Lakes Entrance

Post by mingle » Mon May 15, 2017 11:51 pm

It'd be nice to see a bit more tagging/release...

I can't imagine that they kill so many big billfish (marlin, sailfish, etc) further north...

Unless there's some issue with reviving fish that are brought up from those depths?

Mike.

re-tyred
Has liked: 374 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue May 16, 2017 4:57 am

Zero survival rate as I understand. So they get filleted and their family and friends get a lot of fish for their freezer. They will not get over fished. The area is vast and the weather stops anyone getting out there more than a few days each season. Most boats will spend $400-600 on fuel for the day. I think they would expect to get some fish, no different to keeping a tuna barrel at Portland
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

skye

Post by skye » Tue May 16, 2017 12:48 pm

re-tyred wrote:Zero survival rate as I understand. So they get filleted and their family and friends get a lot of fish for their freezer. They will not get over fished. The area is vast and the weather stops anyone getting out there more than a few days each season. Most boats will spend $400-600 on fuel for the day. I think they would expect to get some fish, no different to keeping a tuna barrel at Portland
Not true, there has been various satellite tagging programs that have shown good survival if in good condition.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue May 16, 2017 1:11 pm

Are you talking Swords out of 500mtrs of water and 4-6hrs fights???
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

skye

Post by skye » Tue May 16, 2017 2:03 pm

Depth, yes. Fight times varied, look up IMAS research for your own viewing to make judgement. Plenty of information including the paths they took after release.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue May 16, 2017 2:17 pm

re-tyred wrote:
frozenpod wrote:Do they taste good?
I have had one feed given to me. Very light brown flesh almost like a light coloured veal. Just fried it till it was brown on each side. I thought it was great. A bit like a well bled tuna steak.
I will have to give it a go one day.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue May 16, 2017 2:21 pm

I will read it, not that it makes much difference. The guys are within their right to take them and keep them. If I catch one I won't be releasing it. I do catch and eat. When I have all the fish I want I move on and do something else. Bag limits are set based on catch and keep. I have no issue with people that like to catch and release. Those people should not have an issue with those that catch and eat....

skye

Post by skye » Tue May 16, 2017 2:34 pm

Everyone is well within their rights to keep them as you say, I will keep my first when it comes along. Probably saw you out there on the weekend as well, 4 bites here for 1 hookup only to pull hooks.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue May 16, 2017 2:37 pm

there has also been reports that the satellite tags went straight to the sea floor, you would have a good idea when the fish comes to the surface whether it can be released if it is not in a good enough condition to swim off after you have swam it for 30 minutes it will not survive. there is no better feeling than holding a billfish by the bill when its hammering your hand on the side of the boat telling you its ready to swim off.
There is also a bag limit for billfish to manage there population

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:12 pm

Let fisheries science do the rule making just like a large female gummy some people like to lecture others if they keep one but each to their own.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”