LE Report

Hosery

Re: LE Report

Post by Hosery » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:36 pm

If you are sounding up fish I'm 1 for trying not to move around heaps. Let the fish come to you instead of chasing them around all day but failing.
Yeah it's good in winter with the couta not in plague numbers and smaller in size. If you want 1 for bait send a silver wobbler to the bottom and wind it in. Generally get 1 after a few drops if they are about.

re-tyred
Has liked: 374 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:00 am

If you see a good bait ball show on your sounder. Drop a bait rig down, still a lot of mackerel around.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:02 am

Thats a fat rock cod, they do look pretty those gurnard but I would swap all of them for the flathead

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:54 am

Another gurnard appreciator. They are so under rated as table fare. One of the nicest eating fish I've caught. I know they have nasty spikes but I've not been stung (yet). Nice catch.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:36 am

Redhunter wrote:Sounds like a good day considering we're in the middle of winter. It's fun fishing the reefs and not knowing what's going to take your bait next. You can keep the gurnard though, they never come on board my boat, ever. Those spines can pack a nasty punch of poison that will ruin your day.
Didn't think that Flying Gurnard, (a true Gurnard), had poisonous spines. Thought the Gurnard Perch, (which I don't think is a true Gurnard), had the poisonous spines.?

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:04 pm

CarlG wrote:
Redhunter wrote:Sounds like a good day considering we're in the middle of winter. It's fun fishing the reefs and not knowing what's going to take your bait next. You can keep the gurnard though, they never come on board my boat, ever. Those spines can pack a nasty punch of poison that will ruin your day.
Didn't think that Flying Gurnard, (a true Gurnard), had poisonous spines. Thought the Gurnard Perch, (which I don't think is a true Gurnard), had the poisonous spines.?
I was just going to post that, I though the same as you..
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:48 pm

hornet wrote:
CarlG wrote:
Think you blokes might be right there. I still don't want them onboard though. You fellas can have them!

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:12 pm

Redhunter wrote:
hornet wrote:
CarlG wrote:
Think you blokes might be right there. I still don't want them onboard though. You fellas can have them!
I don't think they would be any worse than controlling a snapper or flathead flapping about.

I don't know whether the spines have venom or not ? I see them at the Vic market often, the mongers handle them like any other fish so I assume there's no venom.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

re-tyred
Has liked: 374 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:37 pm

No poison on a flying gurnard. Bulleye gurnard or scorpion fish are venomous but they are not a true gurnard. Flying gurnard just handle it with the same respect you would give a flathead.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”