Waratah bay land based

Kosta7

Re: Waratah bay land based

Post by Kosta7 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:53 pm

Texas wrote:Cape Liptrap, Bear gully
Ocean, not in the bay
Can get a bit breezey (a breeze to them is a hurricane to us).

Good luck
Gra
Thanks Gra! I guess I ll put my cyclone proof jacket and head that way :thumbsup:

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:20 pm

Kosta7 wrote:
Ocean, not in the bay

Good luck
Gra
Thanks Gra! I guess I ll put my cyclone proof jacket and head that way :thumbsup:
Walkerville foreshore is shelted from any breeze from the west
SW, W & NW
4litres kayaks at Walkerville (sometimes), he might have some ideas
shallow inlet is the most popular choice for fishing
Beautiful area, enjoy your trip

Cheers Gra

Kosta7

Post by Kosta7 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:37 pm

Texas wrote:
Kosta7 wrote:
Ocean, not in the bay

Good luck
Gra
Walkerville foreshore is shelted from any breeze from the west
SW, W & NW
4litres kayaks at Walkerville (sometimes), he might have some ideas
shallow inlet is the most popular choice for fishing
Beautiful area, enjoy your trip

Cheers Gra
Thanks mate. Had a look on Google Earth and Bear Gully looks interesting. A couple of little "beaches" that might be fishable. I don't do much of rock fishing so not really comfortable fishing off the rocks, especially when I am alone and not familiar with the area. But will definitely head there to check it out

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:53 pm

My attempts at fishing landbased around there haven't gone too well but it certainly looks fishy and I got a really nice mixed bag further out on the yak so there's definitely fish around. I guess there's gummies but the beach at Walkerville South is very shallow and featureless and I'm not sure how gummy fishing would go without much structure.

Out of interest does anyone know if the tracks leading to this beach are accessible to the public by car?
https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/38 ... 145.959628
It would be an interesting spot to launch the yak on a low swell day and have a paddle around to Cape Liptrap. Speaking of which, unless someone knows another way down the track down to the water at the cape is a bit of a slog and not something I would recommend when laden with fishing gear. Stunning spot though.
Last edited by 4liters on Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Texas

Post by Texas » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:04 pm

4liters wrote:My attempts at fishing landbased around there haven't gone too well but it certainly looks fishy and I got a really nice mixed bag further out on the yak so there's definitely fish around. I guess there's gummies but the beach at Walkerville South is very shallow and featureless and I'm not sure how gummy fishing would go without much structure.

Out of interest does anyone know if the tracks leading to this beach are accessible to the public by car? It would be an interesting spot to launch the yak on a low swell day and have a paddle around to Cape Liptrap. Speaking of which, unless someone knows another way down the track down to the water at the cape is a bit of a slog and not something I would recommend when laden with fishing gear. Stunning spot though.
I can't remember having a problem getting to Bear Gully, in the old fairlane (zh)
What are you driving, a bloody Honda civic or something
I always have a teaspoon of cement before I go
My cousins go there often, I'll check with them.
Staying on site costs money

Cheers Gra

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:21 pm

Texas wrote:
I can't remember having a problem getting to Bear Gully, in the old fairlane (zh)
What are you driving, a bloody Honda civic or something
I always have a teaspoon of cement before I go
My cousins go there often, I'll check with them.
Staying on site costs money

Cheers Gra
Sorry, I forgot to include a link to the spot on google maps, fixed now

There's some tracks down there but no real way of telling if they're public access or on private property
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Kosta7

Post by Kosta7 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:06 pm

4liters wrote:My attempts at fishing landbased around there haven't gone too well but it certainly looks fishy and I got a really nice mixed bag further out on the yak so there's definitely fish around. I guess there's gummies but the beach at Walkerville South is very shallow and featureless and I'm not sure how gummy fishing would go without much structure.

Out of interest does anyone know if the tracks leading to this beach are accessible to the public by car?
It would be an interesting spot to launch the yak on a low swell day and have a paddle around to Cape Liptrap. Speaking of which, unless someone knows another way down the track down to the water at the cape is a bit of a slog and not something I would recommend when laden with fishing gear. Stunning spot though.
Lol I was looking at the same spot as well. Put in maps but it kept saying private roads. Probably the locals will know more.

Texas

Post by Texas » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:16 pm

If there's no gate, it's public
Road related area, road safety act
I'll still check with my cousins

Gra

bilby

Post by bilby » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:49 pm

I was down there a couple of weeks ago on a short family trip during the school holidays - did the walk from Hourigans Camp Ln to the mouth. Just a tip from me - don't carry multiple rods and gear if you're attempting that one! Also, if coming back in the dark on foot, make sure you have google maps on, because it's almost impossible to find the track back to the car otherwise. I only had one big hit and nothing on lures (unless you include a small tommy ruff). I've fished there before in spring and did really well on big salmon, but not this time. I did manage a decent salmon around 48cm off squeaky beach at the Prom, though. I tried there many times before and never caught anything, so I was quite pleased with that result.

Texas

Post by Texas » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:07 pm

As others have said roads are a bit dodgey
Confirmed by my cousin

Gra

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”