Lakes Entrance or Wilsons Prom

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: Lakes Entrance or Wilsons Prom

Post by Texas » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:52 pm

Just looked at the photo again
Sure you don't need a truck to tow it ??
4litrs might lend you his beast (Would make a photo)

Gra

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:10 pm

Hosery wrote:Nice looking boat mate. Can't help with reports out wide. But if your looking at heading to the canyons good luck with finding a break in the weather to head out. It will blow till October now I recon. No reports of swords that I no of. Few coming in from up the coast. Plenty of pinkies off lakes. If the wind holds off I'll try and head off lakes tomorrow.
Hopefully you have a great day. I believe the swell might get up a little tomorrow. I was thinking of going out Monday, but the reports aren't looking too great for either Lakes Entrance, or Wilson's Prom :(

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:14 pm

Texas wrote:With the wind blowing, would not the east side of Wilson's Prom be the go???
I don't know, just the normal breeze is from a westerly direction.

Gra
Inside the Prom Bar might be ok, but if it's going to be windy, either easterly or westerly, I guess it will be choppy out near the islands???

I've been once out to the islands in our 5.5m boat we sold at the beginning of the year, and it wasn't nice once that chop started up. Mind you, we test-drove the boat in Port Philip Bay before we bought our boat, and it was 1m swell with short intervals between waves and white caps, and it handled really nicely. In fact, it was cruising at 78km/hr and just slicing the waves, rather than pound up and down. Either way, as soon as you stop you will still get the rocking.

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:16 pm

mingle wrote:Are you sure you don't need a bigger boat? :rofl:
Nope!! I think this is as big as we need (as in myself and my brothers). Still to have some additional gear fitted like outriggers, radar, another Simrad NSS monitor, and a 1kw transducer, but that's a few months away. :thumbsup:

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:20 pm

CarlG wrote:Some decent fish from.Port Mac last week. Fair old drive, but it's the only good offshore reports I've seen of late
Yes, I did hear of some great fishing over Port Mac way, with some tuna still around, but I only have Monday off, and its too far to drive from East Gippsland to Port Mac, go fishing, and then drive back in one day :o_0:

Plans will be to eventually get to Cape Green/Bermi for the marlin, and Portland next year for the barrels.

I'm looking forward to some nice BIG snapper in a few months. Probably head back to the Prom, since we got some nice ones there last year - averaging 85cm length each.

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:22 pm

re-tyred wrote:Still plenty of pinkies around. There was a sword caught in July, but the weather is almost impossible for out there now. Pinkies are on the 4 and 6 mile. You need light gear to do well and fish Slackline like you would bait fishing bream.
Thanks for sparing me a trip out there, esp if the weather out there is not good. It's one thing to have bad weather when you are only a short distance offshore. It's another thing when you are up to 100km offshore in bad weather.

Sounds like we might have missed the swords. :(

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:29 pm

Texas wrote:Just looked at the photo again
Sure you don't need a truck to tow it ??
4litrs might lend you his beast (Would make a photo)

Gra
Haha, tell 4litrs look out if I see the boat going for a wander down the highway behind his beast! :rofl:

Actually, the patrol does a nice job towing it. All up the boat is around 1700kg with the twin outboards and full load of fuel. I can't remember what the trailer weighs, but I think it's about 700kg?? So all up around 2.5t. Coming home from Melbourne when we picked it up from Streaker Marine, it cruised at 110km/hr quite comfortably.

By the way, if you want to see more photos, check out Streaker Marine's website, as our boat has been listed as the "boat of the month" with heaps of photos and videos. http://www.streakermarine.com.au/

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”