Lakes snapper

Hosery

Re: Lakes snapper

Post by Hosery » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:09 am

Happy to help with the winch handle, can't believe some people these days. See how we go in the morning[/quote]

No way what are the odds. Cheers again mate wasn't looking forward to using a shifter to pull her up. I always just leave it sitting in the frame of the trailer never been a issue. Good luck hopefully your onto a few already. Post up a photo or 2. Do you fish lakes often?

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:08 am

Thanks for all the tips lads. Il try down there in the next month or so and put up a report

Mjacc

Post by Mjacc » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:06 pm

No way what are the odds. Cheers again mate wasn't looking forward to using a shifter to pull her up. I always just leave it sitting in the frame of the trailer never been a issue. Good luck hopefully your onto a few already. Post up a photo or 2. Do you fish lakes often?[/quote]

Only one snapper, heaps of other reef fish. Largest Sargent baker I've seen 49cm. Cracking weather but fish don't wanna play ball
First time I've take my boat over the bar and second time I've fished it. Will be up here a lot more from now though

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:58 pm

Mjacc wrote:Only one snapper, heaps of other reef fish. Largest Sargent baker I've seen 49cm. Cracking weather but fish don't wanna play ball
First time I've take my boat over the bar and second time I've fished it. Will be up here a lot more from now though
No good. They would of been down there they are finikey sometimes. Light leader. Small hooks and small bait.
Yeah righto. Give me a yell if your heading this way again if you like. Might be able to point you to the fish or even put my boat in and head out.

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:17 pm

Went on another boat today. We did an exploration trip to the west. No snapper. 3 very large jackets. Moved into the beach and had 3 flatties 2 around the 40cm. 1 1.5mtr gummy on board and one broken off at the back of the boat.. 3 people fishing. So a show down on the beach but not running hot. Could be well worth a gummy fish next weekend after the moon.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Mjacc

Post by Mjacc » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:38 pm

Sounds like it was a bit like that yesterday, we did find the fish just couldn't get past all the other stuff for long enough.
Always happy to go out together at some stage even if you jump onboard if you're free and there's room. I'll yell out when we are up next.
Thanks for the mark to Mike, was a good starting point when moving around to find spots
:water:

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 am

Weather has made it difficult lately. Finally a calm day on Monday. Went to the 8 mile then the 6 mile and eastern end of 4 mile. Donuts just bulleye gurnard and Sargent bakers. Tuesday was calm too so can't be defeated, went for another go. Went down the beach to the west to try for a gummy, hooked what was most likely a gummy but dropped it. Zip for half an hour so headed out to the rocks off Metung. Nothing on the first couple of spots. Moved up to the rocks due south of the entrance in 30-36mtrs. First drop and a pinkie, Then 6 in about half an hour all very nice 32-38cm ones. Went quiet after that and a fresh NW with some rain so gave it away..
So they are still out there even if a bit patchy, water is still 11c. Can't wait for that temp lift. A little bird tells me the east coast current has finally started to run south again and the warmer water is moving down the coast.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

Mjacc

Post by Mjacc » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:41 am

Thanks for the update re-tyred, looking forward to getting back up that way at some stage in the next few weeks.

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:09 pm

That's the go re-tyred! looked awful nice out there first thing this morning not so much when I had knocked off though. Interesting on the water temp. Couple of weeks ago sounder was reading 13.6 I was out fairly wide though. Can't remember what it said on the reef but I thought 12 degrees. Waiting for it to warm up a little to pull the snorkel on in the lake.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:52 am

Hosery wrote:That's the go re-tyred! looked awful nice out there first thing this morning not so much when I had knocked off though. Interesting on the water temp. Couple of weeks ago sounder was reading 13.6 I was out fairly wide though. Can't remember what it said on the reef but I thought 12 degrees. Waiting for it to warm up a little to pull the snorkel on in the lake.
Check your sounder temp against the wave rider buoy next time you go past it.
Attachments
14917.jpg
14917.jpg (143.27 KiB) Viewed 218 times

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”