Surf snapper

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Surf snapper

Post by Kimtown » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:27 pm

Anyone ever had luck catching snapper off the Surf? I've almost never heard of it, but my work mate caught 5 around 7 kilos just the other night at a 90 mile beach I wont disclose. As well as a decent little gummy, a lot of flathead as well as a whiting!?! :o_0:

I've heard they have been doing ultra sonic testing for oil off these beaches and have asked to avoid swimming, maybe it's stirring up the snapper to come off their reefs in search of food in the shallow Surf?

If anyone is on the 90 mile fishing page you would likely have seen the snapper reports

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Surf snapper

Post by DougieK » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:52 pm

I saw the post and came to mention a couple have been coming in at 90 mile.

Apparently you can get them at Portsea and down past Geelong way as well. I've never even tried.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:12 pm

I mean I've heard of them being caught - every now and then... But 5 big ones in one sesh is unheard of.

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:15 pm

That’s a ripper session. I’m guessing i no the beach you speak of hear of a few snapper from it. I’ve caught a few pinkies off the beach at lake tyres but it’s reefy there so that helps.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:18 pm

Dam that’s an unbelievable session. Have heard of the one from the surf but not 5 :o_0:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:28 pm

5 is a impressive session.

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:10 pm

Seaspray to Glomar beach is hot at the moment, from Glomar Beach to Loch Sport it’s all a no go for a while with seismic testing. Will probably knock off a bit of marine life and then make a few disorientated.

Your mate and a few locals have been doing very well!

The seismic testing is to look into storing carbon in the empty gas wells, from 800m to 7km offshore from Golden Beach. The sonic booms are every 7 seconds and apparently enough to kill someone if they’re beneath the water line.
quid est quod eum

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:44 am

ratbag wrote:Seaspray to Glomar beach is hot at the moment, from Glomar Beach to Loch Sport it’s all a no go for a while with seismic testing. Will probably knock off a bit of marine life and then make a few disorientated.

Your mate and a few locals have been doing very well!

The seismic testing is to look into storing carbon in the empty gas wells, from 800m to 7km offshore from Golden Beach. The sonic booms are every 7 seconds and apparently enough to kill someone if they’re beneath the water line.
Wow

bilby

Post by bilby » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:51 am

Interesting. I've heard of snapper off 90 mile before, but never caught one. Would they also be on the beaches further east around Marlo, by any chance?

On the topic of that sonic boom - apart from the fish, that sounds very damaging to mammals. There are often seals, dolphins, pilot whales and larger species of whale along there. How could this not be killing wildlife if it is so harmful to humans?

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:41 am

bilby wrote:Interesting. I've heard of snapper off 90 mile before, but never caught one. Would they also be on the beaches further east around Marlo, by any chance?

On the topic of that sonic boom - apart from the fish, that sounds very damaging to mammals. There are often seals, dolphins, pilot whales and larger species of whale along there. How could this not be killing wildlife if it is so harmful to humans?
There’s always a good selection of fish along the east coast.

There are a couple of commercial fishing boats working the seismic area pick up the dead fish. Yes it’ll be harmful to any and all aquatic species.
There’s a marine park to the east of Seaspray, known as a gummy nursery, hopefully it’s not affected long term.
quid est quod eum

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”