Gippsland for the long weekend

ImTheDave

Re: Gippsland for the long weekend

Post by ImTheDave » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:08 pm

Can I ask what may be a really stupid question....
What do you mean by ‘flick a few plastics...’?
I’m long time fishing in the UK but still new in Australia and the terminology throws me (I do get the stubble reference though!!!). Heading up to Lakes for the long weekend too.
I’ve been using prawns, squid, octopus (random one we caught while crabbing) as bait and so far, have caught nothing in over a year here...

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:16 pm

Cast a few plastic lures around like zman or gulps

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Post by wem21 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:13 am

ImTheDave wrote:Can I ask what may be a really stupid question....
What do you mean by ‘flick a few plastics...’?
I’m long time fishing in the UK but still new in Australia and the terminology throws me (I do get the stubble reference though!!!). Heading up to Lakes for the long weekend too.
I’ve been using prawns, squid, octopus (random one we caught while crabbing) as bait and so far, have caught nothing in over a year here...
If you want to catch something just to up your confidence, head over to stony point pier and fish the incoming tide with peeled prawns and size 1 long shank hooks with a 6-10gram sinker on a paternoster rig. Bring a burley cage/bomb and fill it with premise burley from Kmart and just drop it in from the top left corner of the pier. Then, cast out 5-10m from the railing that is closest to the big naval ship there- the railing at the end of the pier. If you do this, you will catch grass whiting (delicious). If you just drop the bait down next to the pier by your burley cage, you will get leatherjackets (even more delicious when pan fried). I don't think I've gone there once without getting At least a bite.

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:07 pm

I will be in Lakes Entrance for the long weekend too.... Oh that is because I live here. I will be fishing offshore if the weather is kind. Saturday 10th I will be on a charter. Sunday or Monday I will be in my tinny. There have been a few salmon on the beach lately Lake Tyers to Eastern beach. Also caught some up the Lake a Cpl of weeks ago, so Under the Nth arm bridge and Bullock island would be worth spending a bit of time with metal lures. Still been an odd Kingfish caught too. Notably a Cpl caught at the Metung boat ramp casting into the hole at shaving point.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

A-a-ron
Has liked: 32 times

Post by A-a-ron » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:11 pm

wem21 wrote:Thanks for the tips guys!
I forgot to add that ill mainly be targeting bream and flathead
I’m heading to lakes this weekend, but hunting gummies on 90mile beach, and couple other spots. Bloke at Rivera tackle is a top bloke and will give you helpful tips. Some big flatties have been caught in lake tyres near where it meets the ocean, think there’s a pub near there. Here’s a link to a recent report and it’s updated every week or so.

https://www.lakesentrance.com/fishing/fishing-report

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”