Cardinia Creek

Gummysmasher

Cardinia Creek

Post by Gummysmasher » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:18 pm

G'day Guys,

I live close to Berwick and wanting to know if they're are any trout/eel near Berwick in the Creek. Literally anything will do. Cheers.

Queasy

Re: Cardinia Creek

Post by Queasy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:27 pm

A colleague and I were doing a survey down that way about a month ago. He reckons he saw some trout but I cannot confirm. I did see a school of sizeable carp in the Hallam Main Drain directly under the South Gippsland Freeway bridge tho.

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:20 am

Gummysmasher wrote:G'day Guys,

I live close to Berwick and wanting to know if they're are any trout/eel near Berwick in the Creek. Literally anything will do. Cheers.
Hi mate. Yes there is. I’ve caught a couple of spotted brown trout but mostly eels. They were caught further down in Beaconsfield. Not far from you at all. Garden worm as bait

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:34 am

From the top end of the creek, Guys Hill, Upper Beac etc. there's Trout, Blackfish and Crays. Further down there's trout all the way to the the end of the fresh water.

It's a very healthy system but it doesn't hold a lot of fish. I used to fish it a lot and I know a couple of guys who still fish it regularly with mixed results.

Vargs

Post by Vargs » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:56 am

Raco09,
do you mean the area near the Cardinia park hotel or more anywhere along the creek from Upper Beac down to Beaconsfield?

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:48 am

Vargs wrote:Raco09,
do you mean the area near the Cardinia park hotel or more anywhere along the creek from Upper Beac down to Beaconsfield?
I fished behind shops on woods st. Anywhere I could find a clearance and not too snaggy

Vargs

Post by Vargs » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:49 pm

Cheers

Gummysmasher

Post by Gummysmasher » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:59 pm

greggo wrote:From the top end of the creek, Guys Hill, Upper Beac etc. there's Trout, Blackfish and Crays. Further down there's trout all the way to the the end of the fresh water.

It's a very healthy system but it doesn't hold a lot of fish. I used to fish it a lot and I know a couple of guys who still fish it regularly with mixed results.

So anywhere that is more then 2 meters because not sure if it would get deeper (prob does just have to go upstream) then 4 lb leader ( I'm gusssing) with what kind of lure. ?

Gummysmasher

Post by Gummysmasher » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:02 pm

raco09 wrote:
Gummysmasher wrote:G'day Guys,

Hi mate. Yes there is. I’ve caught a couple of spotted brown trout but mostly eels. They were caught further down in Beaconsfield. Not far from you at all. Garden worm as bait

Thanks mate, ill give it a shot

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:00 pm

Gummysmasher wrote: So anywhere that is more then 2 meters because not sure if it would get deeper (prob does just have to go upstream) then 4 lb leader ( I'm gusssing) with what kind of lure. ?
I used to fly fish it mostly, with all fish caught in less than a metre deep. I doubt you'll find many pools over 1.5 metres deep, so it's a good stream for wading.

I've heard that small Celta's work well in there - also small, floating hard-bodies like Rapala Minnows etc..

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”