Easter Tarago river report

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Easter Tarago river report

Post by rb85 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:09 pm

Pistol wrote:
rb85 wrote:Trout are pretty aggressive fish and small fish are easier to fool. Would be worth trying some celtas or hardbodies such as rapalas.

The upper Latrobe river and Toorongo both hold trout.

Tarago reservoir has big trout also lures such as Tassie devils or rapalas would work unfortunately I don’t believe it’s legal to fish there.
Hasn't been legal to fish the reservoir for 40 years.
I thought that was the case been some good trout caught in those 40 years

FishHunter81

Post by FishHunter81 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:29 pm

Thanks for tip. I'll pick up some lures over weekend. I'll stick to float and worms but will try flick some lures also. Is it a better technique to reel fast or slow with the retrieve for the trout?

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:32 pm

Pistol wrote:You did well! Next time try down Stocks Rd and go upstream from there. I got busted off years ago by a huge trout I hooked on a Craigs Nighttime fly after dark. There are big ones there but they are nocturnal. Using worms you'll mainly get blackfish. Crickets are the go.
You have to be a bit careful on the Tarrago, some sections of the river don't have crown frontage so you cannot legally walk on the banks! Stocks Rd I think is ok, but access from some other roads nearby is a no no. Check on Google maps first when planning trips to the Tarrago. Also beware of large, aggressive bulls in some paddocks! Totally agree the crickets and large wet flies catch great trout in this river.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

mcbain

Post by mcbain » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:23 pm

rb85 wrote:
Pistol wrote:
rb85 wrote:Trout are pretty aggressive fish and small fish are easier to fool. Would be worth trying some celtas or hardbodies such as rapalas.

The upper Latrobe river and Toorongo both hold trout.

Tarago reservoir has big trout also lures such as Tassie devils or rapalas would work unfortunately I don’t believe it’s legal to fish there.
Hasn't been legal to fish the reservoir for 40 years.
I thought that was the case been some good trout caught in those 40 years
yep some very large browns in the tarago reservoir.. :thumbsup:

FishHunter81

Post by FishHunter81 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:37 pm

Thanks for feedback. Gonna try Latrobe river next week. Any recommendations on lures for trout to chase. Going to stick with bait and float but want to reel lures also.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”