Long Jetty- Port Welshpool

Bugatti

Re: Long Jetty- Port Welshpool

Post by Bugatti » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:23 pm

WayneK wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:48 pm
I took my two boys down there a few weeks ago and had a great day, even though we only came away with one very nice flathead (caught on a soft plastic shad). Normally, I get my boys to return the bulk of what we catch but this particular day the bite was very slow. My eldest boy spotted a few kingfish cruising up and down the jetty and asked me if we should try to catch one. I told him that they're a great eating fish but that we weren't equiped to catch them. Needless to say, and against my advice, he spent the next 20 to 30 minutes dangling his baited hook in front of them, hoping to entice a bite. Well, bite one did!!! It was peeling line from my boy's reel faster than a strike fighter! He looked at me and asked, "What do I do?" I told him to increase the drag a bit, but not too much. The look on his face was priceless! We all know how the story ends .... the torpedo does a U-turn and heads straight for the pier pylons. Yep!!.... my boy got busted off good and proper! He was dejected, somewhat, but to his credit, he smiled at me and said something like, "Holy cow, what a fish!!!" We left Port Welshpool with a solitary flathead and a great story for mum. When we got home, we cooked up the flathead with a few fish we'd caught in the previous trips. Man!... Is there anything nicer than a cooked fish that you've caught and a light garden salad?

We all have a story of "the one that got away", now your son can update his to this beauty of a story, and make it's rounds at school, at the footy, at the shops, at the park , , , , mate, if that was my story, I'd be telling it in my sleep :fish11:

Great report, there was a moment there when I was hoping the story for your lad ended better, but lasting memories with Dad are a big enough trophy any day.

Cheers

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:54 am

WayneK wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:48 pm
I took my two boys down there a few weeks ago and had a great day, even though we only came away with one very nice flathead (caught on a soft plastic shad). Normally, I get my boys to return the bulk of what we catch but this particular day the bite was very slow. My eldest boy spotted a few kingfish cruising up and down the jetty and asked me if we should try to catch one. I told him that they're a great eating fish but that we weren't equiped to catch them. Needless to say, and against my advice, he spent the next 20 to 30 minutes dangling his baited hook in front of them, hoping to entice a bite. Well, bite one did!!! It was peeling line from my boy's reel faster than a strike fighter! He looked at me and asked, "What do I do?" I told him to increase the drag a bit, but not too much. The look on his face was priceless! We all know how the story ends .... the torpedo does a U-turn and heads straight for the pier pylons. Yep!!.... my boy got busted off good and proper! He was dejected, somewhat, but to his credit, he smiled at me and said something like, "Holy cow, what a fish!!!" We left Port Welshpool with a solitary flathead and a great story for mum. When we got home, we cooked up the flathead with a few fish we'd caught in the previous trips. Man!... Is there anything nicer than a cooked fish that you've caught and a light garden salad?
Great report mate. Really enjoyed the read!!! :thumbsup:

tbcha1
Has liked: 12 times

Post by tbcha1 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:40 am

if you planned to go to the jetty to get onto these Kingies what setup would you need to stop them from busting you off? good lb line and alot of luck??

BigG3145

Post by BigG3145 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:54 pm

Brett wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:11 pm
smile0784 wrote:Is it a professional peir or a recreational peir?
The pier is strictly for recreational land based fishing & tourism. No boats of any type or commercial operations are allowed to use it at all. :banana:

BigG3145

Post by BigG3145 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:57 pm

Has anyone fished it in 2019 or know what's being caught there? Any good for squid?

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:05 pm

nope but wouldn't mind going there to try for some snapper or reef species

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”