Metung Fishing

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: Metung Fishing

Post by Kimtown » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:16 pm

Pistol wrote:Yeah, good luck mate. I've fished Metung and the lakes a few times over the last few years and have never done any good. The Yacht Club jetty has been OK for tiny bream if that floats your boat but the whole system is pretty ordinary in my view. Better off heading further east to Marlo (I haven't fished Lake Tyers so can't comment on there), Bemm or Tamboon. Tamboon was also really ordinary last April due to the mouth being closed. We really need some heavy rain to fix up Tamboon and Mallacoota, but the Bemm sounds OK from reports. If you insist on trying Metung, take your golf clubs! ps. I'm talking lures only, haven't used bait in these systems for 20 years so that might work if you want to go to the "dark side". Maybe drop into the paint shop in Bairnsdale and have a chat to Peter Nord, he'll know the current conditions, or the bait guy as someone else mentioned.
don't bother with lake tyers. dad was there on the weekend and it was the lowest he has ever seen it. i went there in march and it hadn't opened for close to 2 years before that, so almost 2.5-3 years since it's opened... needs a solid flush out of salt water. same goes for tamboon.

bemm has opened to my knowledge but i've seen reports lately and nothing too special. honestly, far east gippsland seems pretty average. maybe come back to mclaughlins for some nice flathead? i dunno.

we had a lot of snow this winter, i thought maybe that melting may have topped up the estuaries a lot but i was wrong :(

Pistol

Post by Pistol » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:30 pm

Yeah, it's pretty sad. Spent last Christmas at Mallacoota and it was just full of jellyfish. Got an invite to spend a weekend at Tamboon in a couple of weeks. It's about a month before the prime time but might be a chance to drink beers, stare into a fire and talk shite. God we need rain! Whoops, sorry to derail the thread!

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:45 pm

I have fished the Lake off Nungurner three times in October. It was hard going but caught a feed each time. 20 School whiting 3 KGW and a largish flyng gurnard, the ones with the coloured wings that are very good eating. All in the10mtr hole of the Nungurner swing moorings. Need a boat or a yak to get there. Lake tyers has been very slow according to locals that fish it. I did speak to a guy today that landed an 80cm Dusky there yesterday, so maybe some movement as the water temp gets up. Currently 16c in the Lake and 15c offshore. Offshore has been slow but getting a feed most times. Heading on a prospecting trip tomorrow down to the west of Lakes maybe to the tower and pipeline.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:57 pm

Are you fishing land based or in a boat? Metung can fish well you just need to know where to fish.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:48 pm

Hosery wrote:Are you fishing land based or in a boat? Metung can fish well you just need to know where to fish.
I think he's a young fella, so LB and restricted

LachyBell

Post by LachyBell » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:56 am

Hosery wrote:Are you fishing land based or in a boat? Metung can fish well you just need to know where to fish.
Mostly LB but we hired a boat

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:46 pm

If you are boating, go to Nungurner. Anchor about 50mtrs off the most outside boat of all the moored boats. 10mtrs of water.
Method: Using a small sabiki bait rig. Cut off all but the bottom 2 hooks. Bait the bottom 2 with a very small piece of squid, no more than 1cm square.

Lower it to the bottom directly under the boat. When you get smallish bites let them have a little bit of slack, on the 2nd or 3rd bite strike it firmly but not to hard. If you feel a fish wind in, if not let the slack out and have another go. Best time is run out tide. Guarantee a feed of School whiting and an occasional KGW.

Ok so now I have given my secret of catching school whiting away. Caught 15 plus 2 flathead, yesterday offshore doing this.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:59 pm

Dinner curtesy of a small sabiki and squid. This was on the beach offshore but works equally well in the whiting hole at Nungurner
Attachments
dinner.jpg

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:40 pm

re-tyred wrote:If you are boating, go to Nungurner. Anchor about 50mtrs off the most outside boat of all the moored boats. 10mtrs of water.
Method: Using a small sabiki bait rig. Cut off all but the bottom 2 hooks. Bait the bottom 2 with a very small piece of squid, no more than 1cm square.

Lower it to the bottom directly under the boat. When you get smallish bites let them have a little bit of slack, on the 2nd or 3rd bite strike it firmly but not to hard. If you feel a fish wind in, if not let the slack out and have another go. Best time is run out tide. Guarantee a feed of School whiting and an occasional KGW.

Ok so now I have given my secret of catching school whiting away. Caught 15 plus 2 flathead, yesterday offshore doing this.
I thought the sabiki bait rig was legal to use as is ? .. as opposed to the two hook rule for salt water ?

I use the sabiki bait rig around Port Phillip bay piers as I was under the impression it is legal to use ?
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:40 pm

hornet wrote:
re-tyred wrote:If you are boating, go to Nungurner. Anchor about 50mtrs off the most outside boat of all the moored boats. 10mtrs of water.

I thought the sabiki bait rig was legal to use as is ? .. as opposed to the two hook rule for salt water rod line fishing ?

I use the sabiki bait rig around Port Phillip bay piers as I was under the impression it is legal to use ?
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”