Metung Fishing

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: Metung Fishing

Post by hornet » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:54 pm

hornet wrote:
hornet wrote:
re-tyred wrote:If you are boating, go to Nungurner. Anchor about 50mtrs off the most outside boat of all the moored boats. 10mtrs of water.
Method: Using a small sabiki bait rig. Cut off all but the bottom 2 hooks. Bait the bottom 2 with a very small piece of squid, no more than 1cm square.

Lower it to the bottom directly under the boat. When you get smallish bites let them have a little bit of slack, on the 2nd or 3rd bite strike it firmly but not to hard. If you feel a fish wind in, if not let the slack out and have another go. Best time is run out tide. Guarantee a feed of School whiting and an occasional KGW.

Ok so now I have given my secret of catching school whiting away. Caught 15 plus 2 flathead, yesterday offshore doing this.
I thought the sabiki bait rig was legal to use as is ? .. as opposed to the two hook rule for salt water rod line fishing ?

I use the sabiki bait rig around Port Phillip bay piers as I was under the impression it is legal to use ?
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

hornet

Post by hornet » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:54 pm

Double post removed.
Last edited by hornet on Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:16 pm

I think it is a max of 2 baited hooks.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

grinderz
Has liked: 17 times

Post by grinderz » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:42 pm

Hi I fish Metung a few times a year with my 4 and 8 year old, I've found the Boardwalk at Chinamans Creek end easy to fish and usually productive. Use pealed local prawn and you only want to cast 10-15m fishing the water where it drops off. If you fish with a couple rods cast one long and one short and you should find bream and the odd flathead. Don't bother unless its overcast with a bit of wind or fish dawn/dusk into the night.

Hey re-tyred, is there a general rule about the tides between Nungurner and Metung, ie so many hours after the tide at lakes?

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:58 pm

hornet wrote:
hornet wrote:
hornet wrote:
re-tyred wrote:If you are boating, go to Nungurner. Anchor about 50mtrs off the most outside boat of all the moored boats. 10mtrs of water.
Method: Using a small sabiki bait rig. Cut off all but the bottom 2 hooks. Bait the bottom 2 with a very small piece of squid, no more than 1cm square.

Lower it to the bottom directly under the boat. When you get smallish bites let them have a little bit of slack, on the 2nd or 3rd bite strike it firmly but not to hard. If you feel a fish wind in, if not let the slack out and have another go. Best time is run out tide. Guarantee a feed of School whiting and an occasional KGW.

Ok so now I have given my secret of catching school whiting away. Caught 15 plus 2 flathead, yesterday offshore doing this.
I thought the sabiki bait rig was legal to use as is ? .. as opposed to the two hook rule for salt water rod line fishing ?

I use the sabiki bait rig around Port Phillip bay piers as I was under the impression it is legal to use ?
Legal as is straight out of the packet. The second you physically bait a hook there can only be 2 hooks on the rig

hornet

Post by hornet » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:22 pm

cobby wrote:
hornet wrote:
hornet wrote:
hornet wrote:

Legal as is straight out of the packet. The second you physically bait a hook there can only be 2 hooks on the rig
No worries I only use sabikis with no bait so I'm legal.

airdustah

Post by airdustah » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:12 pm

Last edited by airdustah on Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:53 am

Tide height at Metung will lag Lakes by about an hour, but it is very subject to weather conditions. Strong westerlies raise the tide easterlies lower it.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

grinderz
Has liked: 17 times

Post by grinderz » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:49 pm

Thanks re-tyred for the info. Got to Metung last night, fishing has been really slow - all my usual spots aren't firing but have only fished land based with the kids. Might try a few flathead haunts in the kayak in the morning but I'm not too confident!

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”