So what is happening offshore Lakes Entraqnce

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: So what is happening offshore Lakes Entraqnce

Post by Kimtown » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:40 pm

Hosery wrote:
Kimtown wrote:Thanks for that

Do you believe lakes is a little overfished?
I don’t think it is. In the lake system possibly but I don’t fish in side. I’ve fished out of lakes in my own boat for 10 years and a few years in others before that. Some seasons are obviously better than others but that’s fishing. The winter pinkies are always strong. Out side I never struggle to get a decent feed. I think the thing is locals always seem to do well as they have their spots. Than out of towners come and don’t no where to fish except the pipe or the 6 mile and if either aren’t fishing well or fished wrong than they complain the joints fished out by the pros cos all they can catch is gurned and couta by the truck load.
Thats a really good point.

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:29 pm

Kimtown wrote:
re-tyred wrote:
Kimtown wrote:Thanks for that

Do you believe lakes is a little overfished?
In a word no. There is reef all the way to Port Albert. Most of the year there is no more than 30-40 boats out. Holiday times there can be a few hundred but even then they are mostly spread out. I have over 200 reef marks within 15 mile of Lakes and I often find a few more bits. Issue is sometimes there is a lot of area to look and it takes time to find them. Also there has been a large amount of school whiting locally so any snapper about are well fed and probably a bit fussy

Snapper travel a lot. They could be sitting on a nice patch of feed 20 miles down while everyone gooses around at the pipeline.

Flathead come and go it has been a poor year locally for flathead, due to water temps and feed patterns. The commercials with flathead quota have worked all winter and most of spring out of Eden as the fish were up that way.
Is there such thing as big snapper off lakes?
Well obviously they would be there but are they caught frequently? Seems it's just mostly school sized reef pinkies caught in reports I read from there.. never really seen a 5-10kg snapper caught? Are they all living inside bays by the time they hit adulthood?
Yes they get as big as anywhere else
Attachments
small 3.jpg
small 2.jpg
small 1.jpg
26mtr nov cray 4.jpg
26mtr cray nov.jpg
26mtr cray nov 9th.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:57 pm

Well time for an update.
Been out a few times chasing snapper flatties and gummies. It has been very frustrating. Get a few pinkies and an occasional 40+ but no big ones and even the pinkies are patchy. Flatties have been fairly scarce had half a doz over three trips. No gummies. There have been a few big snapper and some nice gummies landed by others, but I can't seem to be in the right place at the right time. So after about 5 offshore trips I thought I might give the area around the bar a go for Salmon. Idled down the channel and around the end of the eastern rock wall in flat calm conditions after a lazy 9am start. It was a nice day so had to do something on the boat. Wasn't expecting much as I haven't pinged any salmon there for quite some time.
Chucked a metal slug alongside the rock wall up close to the beach gave it a couple of winds and bang straight on. In the confusion the boat was getting sucked towards the rock wall so I put it into gear and gave the fish enough slack for it to dive into the old pylons that are poking out of the bottom. Fish gone lure gone. Grabbed the second rod and cast it bang straight on again. Didn't give it any mercy this time and after a pretty good fight I had it in the boat. Followed that with another. Then nothing tried every lure , in the gutter against the rocks etc still zippo. Spend about an hour looking around up inside the entrance and down the beach to the west all for zip. Decided to go back to where I started and have another go. First cast I missed the spot I usually try and drop into next to the rocks and instead it was out away from the rock wall. Casually wound it back not expecting anything. I could see the lure coming about 3-4 meters behind the bottom when this beast came out of the depths and nailed it. 2kg rod and 15lb line, had to take it easy and keep the boat from being sucked back into the channel as the tide was now flooding at about 3knts. Got him up and in a net, nice big fat salmon. Had their position now which was out away from the wall in a 4 mtrs deep gutter, so moved to casting distance and went to work. 10 minutes later and had 10 good ones in the icebox. All nicely gutted and cooled in seawater.
Time to go home for lunch.

If you want to fish there, I don't recommend you do it from a boat as you need to have a very good knowledge of the bar and the gutters that run along the beach. On most days there are breaking waves in this area. You can pull u at the flagstaff jetty in the lake and walk over the dunes. It is easy casting distance from the beach to the gutter next to the eastern wall.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

All ways fishin

Post by All ways fishin » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:54 pm

re-tyred wrote:Well time for an update.
Been out a few times chasing snapper flatties and gummies. It has been very frustrating. Get a few pinkies and an occasional 40+ but no big ones and even the pinkies are patchy. Flatties have been fairly scarce had half a doz over three trips. No gummies. There have been a few big snapper and some nice gummies landed by others, but I can't seem to be in the right place at the right time. So after about 5 offshore trips I thought I might give the area around the bar a go for Salmon. Idled down the channel and around the end of the eastern rock wall in flat calm conditions after a lazy 9am start. It was a nice day so had to do something on the boat. Wasn't expecting much as I haven't pinged any salmon there for quite some time.
Chucked a metal slug alongside the rock wall up close to the beach gave it a couple of winds and bang straight on. In the confusion the boat was getting sucked towards the rock wall so I put it into gear and gave the fish enough slack for it to dive into the old pylons that are poking out of the bottom. Fish gone lure gone. Grabbed the second rod and cast it bang straight on again. Didn't give it any mercy this time and after a pretty good fight I had it in the boat. Followed that with another. Then nothing tried every lure , in the gutter against the rocks etc still zippo. Spend about an hour looking around up inside the entrance and down the beach to the west all for zip. Decided to go back to where I started and have another go. First cast I missed the spot I usually try and drop into next to the rocks and instead it was out away from the rock wall. Casually wound it back not expecting anything. I could see the lure coming about 3-4 meters behind the bottom when this beast came out of the depths and nailed it. 2kg rod and 15lb line, had to take it easy and keep the boat from being sucked back into the channel as the tide was now flooding at about 3knts. Got him up and in a net, nice big fat salmon. Had their position now which was out away from the wall in a 4 mtrs deep gutter, so moved to casting distance and went to work. 10 minutes later and had 10 good ones in the icebox. All nicely gutted and cooled in seawater.
Time to go home for lunch.

If you want to fish there, I don't recommend you do it from a boat as you need to have a very good knowledge of the bar and the gutters that run along the beach. On most days there are breaking waves in this area. You can pull u at the flagstaff jetty in the lake and walk over the dunes. It is easy casting distance from the beach to the gutter next to the eastern wall.
Fun day out. :thumbsup: how’s the bar been rough or all good ? Thinking of heading out soon if I don’t get to Eden just had exhaust & head gaskets done so I’m ready to get back to :water:

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:31 am

I am away in tassy this week. Sounds like strong easterly at lakes

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:11 am

Headed out today for a quick fish down the pipeline in 26mtrs . Lots of rubbish but a few good fish. Lost a couple due to poor hook selection. Fixed that with a size upgrade and ended up with a good feed for 3 hrs fishing :water:
Attachments
IMG_20181130_120233_555.jpg
IMG_20181130_120233_555.jpg (39.22 KiB) Viewed 2252 times

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:17 am

Very nice mate :thumbsup:

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:00 pm

Nice fish Mike :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Webby

Post by Webby » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:57 am

Fished at the pipeline yesterday for a few gummys, couple of school shark a snapper and the standard 4000 bulleyed gurnard.
Around 20 boats there with lots of movement so i dont think anyone was really braining them.
Top day though.
Attachments
rsz_20181208_124203.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:36 am

Great catch!
Enjoy the feed :thumbsup:

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”