Port Welshpool - 23/12

StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Port Welshpool - 23/12

Post by StarrangerAU » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:43 pm

Last week on the way back from Lakes Entrance I thought to stop at Port Welshpool and check out the new pier we have been hearing about these past many months. I had never been to PW so had no idea what to expect, suffice to say... go prepared with your supplies and check the tides before you arrive. I had no bait, no smokes, (and not of lot of choices of where to purchase any from) and it looked like it was the bottom of the tide. Needless to say, whilst I might have been tempted to stick around and have a go if I had a full kit of supplies... I decided to keep heading home and come back another day.

Enjoy the pics.... I thought some of you might be keen to know what it looks like.

** side note: looks great for folk who like catching their own bait at low tide, plenty of soldier crabs, yabbies, & juvenile fish in the tide pools. Not sure on the rules for removing those critters though as I guess it falls into the inter-tidal zone and are protected..
Attachments
w1.jpg
w5.jpg
w2.jpg
w4.jpg
w3.jpg

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Re: Port Welshpool - 23/12

Post by Kenle » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:31 pm

Thanks for sharing mate, looks realy shallow on low tide. Wonder how deep it can get at full tide. Also wonder if anyone has any reports on what's been caught since it opened. Cheers

StarrangerAU

Post by StarrangerAU » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:46 pm

Kenle wrote:Thanks for sharing mate, looks realy shallow on low tide. Wonder how deep it can get at full tide. Also wonder if anyone has any reports on what's been caught since it opened. Cheers
..... out at the far end of the pier it does sit over the water at the low tide. It would have been a good 4-5 mtr drop to the water and it was silty brown so difficult to tell the water depth. For the 10mins I wandered about there were a plenty of toadies being reeled in and not much else. My guess is there must be about a two mtr rise in the tide in order for the water to reach all the ways to the shoreline. Like you I would be keen to hear some reports on what else has been caught, though I think anything of decent size would be a struggle to lift onto the deck.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:10 pm

Looks like a awesome place to fish

StarrangerAU

Post by StarrangerAU » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:19 pm

smile0784 wrote:Looks like a awesome place to fish
I had thought it would be a good idea to use the low tide to mark where the troughs and deep points would be on the rising tide. A super organized person would take some 2mtr flags out and spear them in the flats where they could come back n fish later.

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:43 pm

8-10m depth is easily within casting distance from the pier fellas. Gummies and pinkies will come up that channel, plenty of flathead and lots of squid.

Your a chance for a kingie if you bring the right gear at the moment as well....

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:31 pm

Thanks for the pics! Looks like a top spot :thumbsup:

FishHunter81

Post by FishHunter81 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:10 am

Thanks for pics. I'm getting everything prepared in advance for this. Looks like a great jetty to fish and there is also the other jetty on the other side of town as well s rocks. On low tide at the end could you cast to fishable water or was it all sandy on low tide? Want to try for gummies at night as well. Thanks

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:50 am

There's a decent home business bait shop on the right hand side just before you get into Port Welshpool

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:30 am

Hey starrangerAU pretty sure u are allowed to pump yabbies/worms at low tide

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”