Port Welshpool Long Jetty 14-16th Jan

FishHunter81

Port Welshpool Long Jetty 14-16th Jan

Post by FishHunter81 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:35 pm

Hi guys. I headed to the newly restored Long Jetty for 2 nights and I must say the jetty is fantastic. Although it does not go out as long as the old one, the jetty looks great with plenty of access to fishy areas. Anyway after setting up camp at the caravan park I packed the gear and hit the jetty.
Highlights of each day and specific targeted areas.

Day 1: Tried shallow reedy area on right hand side. No luck however this proved successful on day 2 when I witnessed a guy bring in a 60cm flatty fishing the incoming tide.
A yahooing lady decided to take her anger out at one of the seagulls when her partner left a mullet on the cleaning table and it took it. Boy did she let the whole jetty know about it. LOL
After they left I took their spot at the very end and fished the side facing the shoreline. Late Arvo and into sunset I managed 6 KGW all over 30cm. Not much squid around this day and others not catching any either.

Day 2: Late fish today beginning at 4pm. On way up noticed guy bring in thumping flatty.

Tried same spot where had success with KGW. Whilst sitting there I also had thrown a squid spike with whole small whiting on it. Anyway all of a sudden I hear that line screeching. As I grabbed Rod it busted and I could see this white flash in the water- Kingfish.

Decided to rig up a swimbait and heavier line on surf Rod. Threw it out on the very end and BANG the Kingy took the swimbait and ran to the channel with my drag off. I though this was good instead of it running under the jetty. Anyway I fought it for 5 minutes and as I had it near the jetty it ran towards the old pylons. Clever Fish. It wrapped the line around and I snapped off. Not sure what else I could have done.

Day 3: Morning fish in same spot facing shoreline. Managed 1 KGW and a 34cm trevally. People were bringing in some flatty just of size.

Packed up and came home but will return. Also if anyone decides to go WARNING take aero guard. I got attacked by sand flies on the first night as I didn't have aeroguard.

On a side note I have photos of my trip but can't attach them to here. Its saying they are too big. If anyone knows how to make them work I'd appreciate the tech support.

Cheers.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Port Welshpool Long Jetty 14-16th Jan

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:09 pm

Sounds like interesting few days.
Great report

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:15 pm

Ha yeah I’ll be impressed if anyone lands a kingie off the jetty there. Plenty around but good luck with the pylons! Not to mention all the additional pylons underwater.

Great to see the jetty back open, a bit of life there again like the good old days

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:21 pm

Sounds like not a bad few days mate.
Thanks for the warning about the inspect repellant :thumbsup:

j_pap

Post by j_pap » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:49 pm

Awesome. The kings would have got the heart pumping

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:33 pm

Yeah the sandflies around there are *****, I was spotty for weeks after staying a few nights in Port Albert.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:22 pm

FishHunter81 wrote: A yahooing lady decided to take her anger out at one of the seagulls when her partner left a mullet on the cleaning table and it took it. Boy did she let the whole jetty know about it. LOL
Would you believe me if I said I was fishing next to them for a couple of hours and witnessed the whole thing! It was Hilarious and she was quite a character!

I probably said g'day to you at some stage... :thumbsup:

It's a fantastic pier but a long walk to deeper water!

I had some great success on some nice sized squid near the shed.
FishHunter81 wrote:
On a side note I have photos of my trip but can't attach them to here. Its saying they are too big. If anyone knows how to make them work I'd appreciate the tech support.

Cheers.
You will need to resize the images yourself using a simple program like Paint.
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

tbcha1
Has liked: 12 times

Post by tbcha1 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:43 pm

Picture resize: if you are posting it via the mobile phone you can download an app on the phone that will resize pictures smaller for you
Just search "photo resize" and you should see a few pop up. Sorry i forget the one i used to use

also great report! last time i was at port welshpool was probably over 20 years ago now! crap trip we ran low on petrol and nothing was open. Had to stay over night and the fishing was crap as we had no idea what we were doing haha. Was one of our first trip fishing so we had no clues too
Last edited by tbcha1 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:45 pm

tbcha1 wrote:Picture resize: if you are posting it via the mobile phone you can download an app on the phone that will resize pictures smaller for you
Just search "photo resize" and you should see a few pop up. Sorry i forget the one i used to use
Didn’t know that. That’s great!
Cheers :thumbsup:

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:17 am

Host images on imgur then use the BBcode to link to here.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”