Re: Cape Shank Sunday 20/1/19

Post by j_pap » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:01 pm

Thats awesome, well done.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:37 am

Yota wrote:
Got it up to the boat and “struggle” is an understatement trying to net this Kingfish. Estimate 80cm at least.
Well I totally $@$@ed up the landing - my net handle wasn’t done up tight and spun around as I was doing what only a 3 armed person could do.
I turn around and the second rod was buckled over. Again line peeling off and a good struggle all the way to the boat.
So while battling the 2 nd fish I use my feet and armpit to tighten up the net.
Got the fish up and landed - yeehaw my first Kingfish.
Measured 68cm.
by then I was ecstatic but wrecked - feeling a bit green with my head down too long trying to sort out the fish, re set rods, control the drift etc etc

JUst wondering would you do better with a Gaff as a single fisho and for that matter a kage gaff - quite a few guys I know use them myself included

https://www.rapidmedia.com/kayakangler/ ... -kage-gaff

I made my own a bit of stainless allthread and a broom handle were the main bits - pretty easy to stab a fish with one hand while holding the rod in the other which stuns them and gives you control over it quickly
anyway thats just a thought remember we have to land fish solo all the time

I was on my way down to Cape Shank on Sunday we were Kayaking our way down from Finders ocean beach but my mate that was out for the day was turning green about 3/4 the way down so safer to head back in - Mal forgot to take some sea sick meds before heading out - only a short day on the water for us and not a king in sight

maybe better luck this W/E at Portland We have an off shore kayak comp - Tuna or Kings are the main species
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

bluewater81
Has liked: 1 time

Post by bluewater81 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:16 am

Well done legend

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:04 am

JUst wondering would you do better with a Gaff as a single fisho and for that matter a kage gaff - quite a few guys I know use them myself included

I made my own a bit of stainless allthread and a broom handle were the main bits - pretty easy to stab a fish with one hand while holding the rod in the other which stuns them and gives you control over it quickly

I was on my way down to Cape Shank on Sunday we were Kayaking our way down from Finders ocean beach but my mate that was out for the day was turning green about 3/4 the way down so safer to head back in - Mal forgot to take some sea sick meds before heading out - only a short day on the water for us and not a king in sight

maybe better luck this W/E at Portland We have an off shore kayak comp - Tuna or Kings are the main species[/quote]

Thanks that’s a great idea. Geez now I might look like a pro if I get a gaff. I never really take myself too seriously but that’s something else to buy in the fishing budget :-D
Great effort in a kayak I’m impressed.

Good luck for this weekend.
I am low on brownie points so I’m a few weekends away from my next trip I’d say. Good luck this weekend.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. Appreciate them.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:35 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
Yota wrote:
Got it up to the boat and “struggle” is an understatement trying to net this Kingfish. Estimate 80cm at least.
Well I totally $@$@ed up the landing - my net handle wasn’t done up tight and spun around as I was doing what only a 3 armed person could do.
I turn around and the second rod was buckled over. Again line peeling off and a good struggle all the way to the boat.
So while battling the 2 nd fish I use my feet and armpit to tighten up the net.
Got the fish up and landed - yeehaw my first Kingfish.
Measured 68cm.
by then I was ecstatic but wrecked - feeling a bit green with my head down too long trying to sort out the fish, re set rods, control the drift etc etc

maybe better luck this W/E at Portland We have an off shore kayak comp - Tuna or Kings are the main species
I saw you guys, and I thought it might have been you, was tempted to head over and say hello, I wish I did now.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:11 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
I saw you guys, and I thought it might have been you, was tempted to head over and say hello, I wish I did now.
it wasn't a bad day out for a paddle really - I have been looking for other launch sites of late - we did a surf launch a couple of weeks back at Smiths Beach more for a reccy so the Pyramid Rocks area is now in easy reach for us

again nothing came out to play on that trip ether
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:09 am

cheaterparts wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:
it wasn't a bad day out for a paddle really - I have been looking for other launch sites of late - we did a surf launch a couple of weeks back at Smiths Beach more for a reccy so the Pyramid Rocks area is now in easy reach for us

again nothing came out to play on that trip ether
Smith’s would be good as long as there’s no swell. Can think of a couple worth trying

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:53 am

Nice fish mate!!!

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:30 am

Hey Yota ,
I was on the same trip , i was in my mates 5m Evo Cuddy.
We were just in front of you and saw you pull that one in.
You were in the centre console i think ?

We ended up with just one Kingy at 82cm and got smoked twice by what we guess were bigger versions.

We did well on Squid before heading out got 19 between 3 of us.

Also hooked up on a couple of big Wrasse out there and a big Slimey Mac that was around 50cm !

Good day out will do it again but might launch from Stoney point next time.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:38 pm

Wow Yota, great write up, I almost felt like diving in and catching that escapee for you, you had me captivated. Great that you weren't a sheep but backed yourself. You get my respect.

And congratulations on joining the Kingie Club.

ps. I hope you accumulate those brownie points quick

Cheers Bill
Yota.1.PNG

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”