Cape Shank Sunday 20/1/19

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Cape Shank Sunday 20/1/19

Post by Yota » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:41 pm

Launched at Rye with about 10 other of the same boat manufacturer as mine at 7. The aim was Kings.
I got on the water by 6 and picked up a few small squid for bait Right next to the entrance channel while I was waiting for everyone.
About 9:30 we all made the dash for Cape Shank as a group.
I was solo this trip - not unusual for me and I knew I would be a busy boy fishing the coast on my own.
Got there after a fairly rough trip - by my standards. It was a good 45 minute ride to get there once out of the heads.
I had prepped 6 of my rods the day before 3 heavy rods for bait, 1 heavy rod for jigging, 1 lighter rod for baitfish if I came across any and 1 rod for squid.
Well once I got there the 3 rods lasted all of 15 minutes :tongue:
There was a few boats there - maybe 20 all spread out including the Evolution crew.
First up I loaded 2 bait rods with live squid and dropped them down. Before I had a chance to do anything the first rod was buckled over hard and the line was peeling off.
I really enjoyed the fight it was adrenaline pumping- I wasn’t sure what I had connected to.
Got it up to the boat and “struggle” is an understatement trying to net this Kingfish. Estimate 80cm at least.
Well I totally $@$@ed up the landing - my net handle wasn’t done up tight and spun around as I was doing what only a 3 armed person could do. The fish was in the net, then the net head spun and the net latched onto one of the hooks or the line somehow and the fish flipped and the hooks ripped off and the fish swam away with me tossing the rod and using the bloody net to try to renet the fish. I wanted to jump in to grab it - I saw it for a second. Would have been funny to watch. There was a boat next to me they saw the whole thing - I just looked over and laughed.
I turn around and the second rod was buckled over. Again line peeling off and a good struggle all the way to the boat.
So while battling the 2 nd fish I use my feet and armpit to tighten up the net.
Got the fish up and landed - yeehaw my first Kingfish.
Measured 68cm.
Ogled at it for a few minutes then placed it in the floor locker to deal with later.
Again being solo - I was very conscious of the rocks, the swell, other boats, and conditions were - I was struggling to stay upright to rebait. I had drifted a bit and reset my drift back to where I started.
Back in position i re baited one rod and dropped it back down. I started re tying on the hooks from the first rod- it was hard in the swell.
Then I look over the rod I just rebaited had a few big knocks - I grab it and something is wrong - bitten off. 2 snelled hooks gone with a clean cut. Something toothy I think :(
By this stage I thought I’d better take care of the fish I’d caught. So I took a selfie with the camera on timer :thumbsup:
So I quickly rebaited the 3rd new rod and started to bleed the fish. Gutted it and put it straight on ice with ice in the gut cavity.
Had a couple of missed opportunities/lost all my live bait but pulled up another big blue throat wrasse and by then I was ecstatic but wrecked - feeling a bit green with my head down too long trying to sort out the fish, re set rods, control the drift etc etc so I made my way home only after fishing an hour or so.

Funny part was I radioed on channel 72 the Evo crew to let them know where exactly I was successful and you should have seen all the boats move, not just the Evo boats I mean EVERYONE :rofl:
Anyway, it was a good day. Awesome fun.
Rye ramp was crazy busy upon my return - I won’t be going back there in a hurry.
So tonight I’ll be having - Kingfish on a bed of mash.
Attachments
EC1032C4-B45E-4980-ABAB-64AAB38654CE.jpeg

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Cape Shank Sunday 20/1/19

Post by rb85 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:49 pm

Well done mate I saw that pic on the Salt guide Instagram off one of their GPS marks.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:52 pm

Would explain the crowds

Yota

Post by Yota » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:15 pm

Thanks RB. Yeah in that sort of area I take the marks with a grain of salt - as a guide not a " fish are only here " sort of thing.

In that area there's lots of current and bottom structure so, for me I think it was the live squid and the rig that made the difference. And maybe a bit of luck - I need that bit ha ha.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:38 pm

Yota wrote:Thanks RB. Yeah in that sort of area I take the marks with a grain of salt - as a guide not a " fish are only here " sort of thing.

In that area there's lots of current and bottom structure so, for me I think it was the live squid and the rig that made the difference. And maybe a bit of luck - I need that bit ha ha.
Well you got the result you were after mate.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:46 pm

Great report and pic mate :)
You deserve it :thumbsup:

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:54 pm

great read nice fish buddy

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:01 pm

Great report

Funny how everyone listen to fish reports lol

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:02 pm

Well done on your first. that's great effort.
Next time take someone with you so you don't loose fish and for safety as well..
I've always wondered if the net would unscrew. This confirms it....
Cheers

Yota

Post by Yota » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:16 pm

Cheers people. Re the net: it's a great net it's just I'd never used it before and I never thought to check it for tightness. Believe me it's tight now :thumbsup:

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”