smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Re: Marlo again

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:07 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:57 am
smokin_reels wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:44 am

On the no Lizard photos , , , , something tells me it may be to avoid another crocodile comparison.

I have standards now when it comes to flathead :tongue:

I should adopt the same, I think.

Don and I came across a picky bunch of Whiting, that had a hungry bunch of undersize flathead with them. We caught about 15 undersized flathead each , , , , and got spiked 30+ times each too. Never thought of using the rag that was a foot away, except to wipe the slime and blood away from our hands.

Truth be told, we try avoiding using a rag, when unhooking fish we know we are not keeping and going to release.

They should make bandades the shape of a hand for times like these.

Cheers

i was fishing one evening and had a few small flatties.

20 min later i wandered down to the urinal to take a wee.
to my horror there was blood mixed into the usual stuff in the trough.

I turned in quiet shock. was it my kidneys shutting down from all the teenage alcoholism? had i ruptured a blood vessel during the length fight with the micro flattie i just caught?

As i washed my hands in the sink, there was more blood. I hit rock bottom. there was blood everywhere now, surely i must be dying. :o_0:

then it dawned on me, a minuscule cut on my pinky finger was the cause of my strife. i was immediately overwhelmed with a sense of relief.

- true story, St kilda pier, Circa 2018 Jan
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:00 pm

Awesome report, great part of the world! Cheers for sharing

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:16 pm

Sounds like a good weekend well done

tbcha1
Has liked: 12 times

Post by tbcha1 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:48 pm

great report
some good fish you got there. My friend would be happy if he got onto half as many when he went up last

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:21 pm

smokin_reels wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:59 am
Just got back from another good weekend.
The mouth isn't as open as it was earlier in the year and the levels were up a fair bit. I think that's what is slowing down the fishing.
That being said, the avg size of fish I was catching this time around were better.

I spent 3/4 sessions on Friday and Saturday paddling.
Ended up with a few good bream and estuary perch and flathead in the session.
I also released a whole heap of tailor and kept a few larger ones for bait.
I managed to avoid getting spiked by any of the flatties all weekend, small victory that involved a larger landing net, lip grips and not mucking around with pictures of lizards. :rofl:

Stand out lures for the trip were,
- Jackall Squirell - suji prawn
- Daiwa Double clutch - Lemon squash and rusty ayu
- Daiwa Spike - Black and brown suji prawn
- OSP bent minnow , Pink head and Ayu gold
- Zman 2.5inch Grubz - motor oil

perch2.jpg

Perch 3.jpg

Perch 1.jpg

Bream 2.jpg

Bream 1.jpg

Probably caught fish on all the lures i tied on, but then again my choices were fairly conservative

I ran into some good bream up river in some snags , a direction I headed in when the wind had picked up. Was fairly sheltered, there are some sections that had old sunken moorings, maz and i had fish there last time. this time was no different, the bream fight hard and dirty! Stuck to plastics here, and turned the kayak out into open water as soon as i hooked up and had to skull drag the fish out. intense!

Only casualty lure wise, was a bent minnow that i lost to an EP that ran straight into a reed bed and broke me off. I had a nice one the previous cast that I was lucky enough to tease out.
:oops:

the last session, i decided to have a crack on the surf beach for sharks again. The weather was perfect, with northerlies and the ocean was calm. 1m swells, full moon.
Spinning some metals in the afternoon had me pick up some salmon amongst all the bait fisherman.

Salmon .jpg

As darkness fell, a fresh salmon cutlet went out on a 6/0. Rod got slammed down 15 min later. Massive headshakes and a near unstoppable first run, I just about turned it when the toothie bit through my leader. I was spewing that I had lost a good bronzie. (safe bet thats what it was )

I kept fishing and ran out of hooks eventually to all the trash that came as by catch, some large skates , stingrays, port jacksons.

Next time, im crimping down some wire on a big circle.

Back to Melbourne now, tired and refreshed and binge watching shark videos.

I also was able to stand cast lures out of my kayak, something that I had always wanted to do. :)
A very memorable weekend , even if the highlights were a bust off and a bite off .

SUP.jpg
:banana:
:a_goodjob:

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:49 pm

Nice work Aaron, some good fish in the yak even if it was a bit slow
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:55 am

mazman wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:49 pm
Nice work Aaron, some good fish in the yak even if it was a bit slow
Yup 🙂 thanks Alex!
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:55 pm

smokin_reels wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:59 am
Just got back from another good weekend.
The mouth isn't as open as it was earlier in the year and the levels were up a fair bit. I think that's what is slowing down the fishing.
That being said, the avg size of fish I was catching this time around were better.

I spent 3/4 sessions on Friday and Saturday paddling.
Ended up with a few good bream and estuary perch and flathead in the session.
I also released a whole heap of tailor and kept a few larger ones for bait.
I managed to avoid getting spiked by any of the flatties all weekend, small victory that involved a larger landing net, lip grips and not mucking around with pictures of lizards. :rofl:

Stand out lures for the trip were,
- Jackall Squirell - suji prawn
- Daiwa Double clutch - Lemon squash and rusty ayu
- Daiwa Spike - Black and brown suji prawn
- OSP bent minnow , Pink head and Ayu gold
- Zman 2.5inch Grubz - motor oil

perch2.jpg

Perch 3.jpg

Perch 1.jpg

Bream 2.jpg

Bream 1.jpg

Probably caught fish on all the lures i tied on, but then again my choices were fairly conservative

I ran into some good bream up river in some snags , a direction I headed in when the wind had picked up. Was fairly sheltered, there are some sections that had old sunken moorings, maz and i had fish there last time. this time was no different, the bream fight hard and dirty! Stuck to plastics here, and turned the kayak out into open water as soon as i hooked up and had to skull drag the fish out. intense!

Only casualty lure wise, was a bent minnow that i lost to an EP that ran straight into a reed bed and broke me off. I had a nice one the previous cast that I was lucky enough to tease out.
:oops:

the last session, i decided to have a crack on the surf beach for sharks again. The weather was perfect, with northerlies and the ocean was calm. 1m swells, full moon.
Spinning some metals in the afternoon had me pick up some salmon amongst all the bait fisherman.

Salmon .jpg

As darkness fell, a fresh salmon cutlet went out on a 6/0. Rod got slammed down 15 min later. Massive headshakes and a near unstoppable first run, I just about turned it when the toothie bit through my leader. I was spewing that I had lost a good bronzie. (safe bet thats what it was )

I kept fishing and ran out of hooks eventually to all the trash that came as by catch, some large skates , stingrays, port jacksons.

Next time, im crimping down some wire on a big circle.

Back to Melbourne now, tired and refreshed and binge watching shark videos.

I also was able to stand cast lures out of my kayak, something that I had always wanted to do. :)
A very memorable weekend , even if the highlights were a bust off and a bite off .

SUP.jpg
:banana:
What a great trip mate. Well done

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Whiskers » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:45 pm

Great report. Some good fish caught.

The bar at the mouth of the Snowy closed over this weekend so the water coming down the Snowy and the Brodribb is starting to back up now and the estuary is filling. It has a lot more filling to do before the authorities will need to decide if the bar should be artificially opened. If the waters back up too far many acres of farmland may go under water.

Ironically, the bar at Mallacoota was opened last Thursday and the lake is emptying out to sea. Mallacoota bar had been closed since February 2017.

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:07 pm

Great report SR and how's the pinkie hope u didn't feel faint at the sight of blood lol

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”