Marlo again

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Re: Marlo again

Post by smokin_reels » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:41 am

fishnut wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:07 pm
Great report SR and how's the pinkie hope u didn't feel faint at the sight of blood lol
Had me in a spot of bother :rofl:
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:42 am

Whiskers wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:45 pm
Great report. Some good fish caught.

The bar at the mouth of the Snowy closed over this weekend so the water coming down the Snowy and the Brodribb is starting to back up now and the estuary is filling. It has a lot more filling to do before the authorities will need to decide if the bar should be artificially opened. If the waters back up too far many acres of farmland may go under water.

Ironically, the bar at Mallacoota was opened last Thursday and the lake is emptying out to sea. Mallacoota bar had been closed since February 2017.

Havent fished Coota before, should give it a go.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

tbcha1
Has liked: 12 times

Post by tbcha1 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:18 am

smokin_reels wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:42 am
Whiskers wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:45 pm
Great report. Some good fish caught.

The bar at the mouth of the Snowy closed over this weekend so the water coming down the Snowy and the Brodribb is starting to back up now and the estuary is filling. It has a lot more filling to do before the authorities will need to decide if the bar should be artificially opened. If the waters back up too far many acres of farmland may go under water.

Ironically, the bar at Mallacoota was opened last Thursday and the lake is emptying out to sea. Mallacoota bar had been closed since February 2017.

Havent fished Coota before, should give it a go.
is the fishing much better when the mouth is open or closed? as time goes by the longer it is open or closed better?
thanks!

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Whiskers » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:38 pm

:is the fishing much better when the mouth is open or closed? as time goes by the longer it is open or closed better?
thanks!
"

To be honest I don't know, I haven't lived long enough in the area to experience the differences.

My gut feeling is that fishing will be better when the entrance is open. The movements of the currents must bring with them food and fish.
At the moment the river fishing is still good, plenty of fish to be had. It will be interesting to compare it should the entrance remain closed for a protracted period.

:water:

tbcha1

Post by tbcha1 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:15 pm

Whiskers wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:38 pm
:is the fishing much better when the mouth is open or closed? as time goes by the longer it is open or closed better?
thanks!
"

To be honest I don't know, I haven't lived long enough in the area to experience the differences.

My gut feeling is that fishing will be better when the entrance is open. The movements of the currents must bring with them food and fish.
At the moment the river fishing is still good, plenty of fish to be had. It will be interesting to compare it should the entrance remain closed for a protracted period.

yeah im not sure as well but would be good to know as i do only 1 trip a year down at Marlo way so would be good to try and get as many ducks lined up in a row as possible before i head down hahah

I think Tyers has been closed off for a while now. There seem to big some huge croc's coming out of that system and decent fishing as well from reports

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:46 am

tbcha1 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:15 pm
Whiskers wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:38 pm
thanks!
"

yeah im not sure as well but would be good to know as i do only 1 trip a year down at Marlo way so would be good to try and get as many ducks lined up in a row as possible before i head down hahah

I think Tyers has been closed off for a while now. There seem to big some huge croc's coming out of that system and decent fishing as well from reports
Yep Tyers appears to really be picking up as of late, which is strange because I've been there a few times for average results and know of fishing clubs that have had trips there for nothing

Not sure why it's changed all of a sudden

re-tyred
Has liked: 374 times

Post by re-tyred » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:17 am

The entrance to the snowy at Marlo is mostly open. It only closes during severe drought such as the one we have just had. Bit of rain starting to break the drought this last couple of weeks. Fishing there is generally better when it is open.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:29 am

re-tyred wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:17 am
The entrance to the snowy at Marlo is mostly open. It only closes during severe drought such as the one we have just had. Bit of rain starting to break the drought this last couple of weeks. Fishing there is generally better when it is open.
Its closed back up again.
Bemm and coota are open atm. But not sure for how much longer........

tbcha1

Post by tbcha1 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:17 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:46 am

Yep Tyers appears to really be picking up as of late, which is strange because I've been there a few times for average results and know of fishing clubs that have had trips there for nothing

Not sure why it's changed all of a sudden
have you seen this video? its a fishing session at tyers early this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCES1hlHnM

tbcha1

Post by tbcha1 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:17 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:17 am
Thanks Re-Tyred
will keep that in mind next time we come down to Marlo

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”