Bemm River report 28-30/3/19

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Bemm River report 28-30/3/19

Post by purple5ive » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:26 pm

colnick wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:13 pm
There is a set level that determines when the entrance will be artificially opened. From memory it was last opened in June and closed again in August. Normally it stays open longer and is re-opened more often, but the prolonged drought this time meant that it has been closed for almost eight months because the water simply took ages to build up to the trigger level. Recent fishing has been unusually difficult for Bemm as a result.
Hope that bloody seal went out with the flow!
The seal can come and go whenever it pleases.
It just has to waddle over the sand bar. The mouth doesnt need to be open for it to go in and out

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:28 pm

ben475 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:27 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:17 am
Great stuff.
The fish with fins out of the water are BIG A$$ Mullet , you will never catch them on lures unless you foul hook one.
Thats a decent sized opening, hopefully it gets a good flush and starts fishing crazy again soon
I kinda found they weren't interested in any lures at all, I could feel the line and lures dragging through them.
how would you try to catch them?

there was a fair bit of rain within 48 hours of the entrance opening and it was flowing out hard on Saturday.
Ive never tried to catch them.mate.
Maybe try some.dough or bread next time.

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:07 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:26 pm
colnick wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:13 pm
There is a set level that determines when the entrance will be artificially opened. From memory it was last opened in June and closed again in August. Normally it stays open longer and is re-opened more often, but the prolonged drought this time meant that it has been closed for almost eight months because the water simply took ages to build up to the trigger level. Recent fishing has been unusually difficult for Bemm as a result.
Hope that bloody seal went out with the flow!
The seal can come and go whenever it pleases.
It just has to waddle over the sand bar. The mouth doesnt need to be open for it to go in and out
Yeah, I know purple. I've struck it at all sorts of times and water levels. Put the fear of god into me when I was prawning by myself late one night. The inlet might be a bit less attractive now the water level is low.
The only reason I am responding now is to see the garfish next to my name. I really didn't like being a banjo.

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:06 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:28 pm
ben475 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
Great stuff.
The fish with fins out of the water are BIG A$$ Mullet , you will never catch them on lures unless you foul hook one.
Thats a decent sized opening, hopefully it gets a good flush and starts fishing crazy again soon
I kinda found they weren't interested in any lures at all, I could feel the line and lures dragging through them.

there was a fair bit of rain within 48 hours of the entrance opening and it was flowing out hard on Saturday.
Ive never tried to catch them.mate.
Maybe try some.dough or bread next time.
yeah I might try some bread on a hook without a sinker if I come across them again.

Bugalugs

Post by Bugalugs » Fri May 03, 2019 3:07 pm

ben475 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
Great stuff.

Actually guys - I caught a couple of those BIG mullet last October upstream in the river there. ON A FLY !!! Yes, on a fly.
They really go hard when hooked - I've got a pic of one ... somewhere. They went over 50cm in length. My mates hooked a couple of others, but got busted off.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Fri May 03, 2019 3:42 pm

Bugalugs wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:07 pm
ben475 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
Great stuff.

Actually guys - I caught a couple of those BIG mullet last October upstream in the river there. ON A FLY !!! Yes, on a fly.
They really go hard when hooked - I've got a pic of one ... somewhere. They went over 50cm in length. My mates hooked a couple of others, but got busted off.
Yes have heard of people getting them on fly. They just cruise the river looking for insects and stuff to eat so they would take a fly readily I'd say..
Only other way is foul hooking them on a lure or on bread.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri May 03, 2019 6:42 pm

Great report Ben.

Love trips that have variety and what would a story be without a twist , , , , the day three rains.

Good to see that you kept what you needed too, nice. Dad & I did that with Bream. Bream best gutted, head off, scales on and cooked on a grate over charcoal mmmmm.

ben475 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:32 pm

noticed some bigger fish jumping and surfacing in the same area, there heaps of them swimming around on the surface with the tops of their fins sticking up , , , , but couldn't get a hookup.

All in all a pretty good trip, one I wont forget in a hurry.

If you see fish, Ben, and they won't bite , , , , follow this simple poem;

"If there's one , , , , then use a gun.
If you see four , , , , then bring out the C4.
But if there's more , , , , it's time for the Claymore."

If there's one , , , , then use a gun
fishing-with-gun.jpg

If you see four , , , , then bring out the C4
Ben Dundee.PNG

But if there's more , , , , it's time for the Claymore
claymore.jpg

Cheers, Bugatti

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Fri May 03, 2019 7:13 pm

Bugalugs wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:07 pm
ben475 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
Great stuff.

a fly hey, never fly fished, I might try a small nymph soft plastic if I come across them again.
there was sooo many of them, I was amazed.

Bugalugs

Post by Bugalugs » Mon May 06, 2019 10:07 am

a fly hey, never fly fished, I might try a small nymph soft plastic if I come across them again.
there was sooo many of them, I was amazed.
[/quote]

Yeah a fly - it was similar to a red and black wooly bugger - stripped back very quickly towards the boat. When they hit it, they hit really hard. Ended up a couple of times with just a scale on the hook. Chucked them back after a photo.

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Mon May 06, 2019 11:17 am

I found this very interesting. I have a week at the Bemm every year and I never get over the size of some of the mullet jumping around. A few years ago I was fishing land based wading out to knee depth in Bob's Bay. On a couple of glassy mornings I was surrounded by fish cruising around with fins out of the water. They turned out to be tailor. I caught a couple of bigger ones on my bream gear and lost more of course with bite-offs. They turned out to be a bloody nuisance, hitting baits before the bream got a look at them.
Can't wait for my next trip with the entrance open.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”