Welshpool 8/6

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Welshpool 8/6

Post by Kimtown » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:46 am

Loaded up the ski yesterday for its first ever bait fish session. Had my cousin tag along for the ride. Got on the water at first light where we were unfortunate witnesses to a boat coming off the trailer mid ramp

Made me feel a little bit sorry for the guys, quite an expensive lesson learnt for them.

The goal was to head way offshore and find some gummies. Having not a single piece of bait on board our first mission was to collect some!

Conditions were lovely early in the day

We decided we would head to rabbit island to see if we could find some squid. It was the first time going there so didn't know what to expect really. On Google maps it looked like quite good squid grounds. Upon arrival we quickly realized it wasn't at all lol so moved on.

Next stop was Rag island where we thought we would troll some lures in the hope to get some flesh bait. Rag island is absolutely loaded with seals and while we got a few hits here and there the seals seemed more interested in us than the fish did, and probably scared everything away.

So a few hours had passed and it was now 11am and still didnt have any bait on board, which sometimes harder than finding the target fish. We made another short move again to a close island and trolled around it for a while. After about 30 mins of trolling we had 1 hit and a Snook popped up! It sparked a massive frenzy and the sounder was a light. We ended up casting metal slugs at them for 5 mins and managed to get 4 or 5 nice size models, perfect bait for Gummies and flathead.

So just after lunch where headed out to around 40m of water. Surprisingly there were quite a few boats and a charter out there, around 40km from the ramp and 30km from the entrance, obviously a pretty popular spot. We were using large snook chunks for the gummies on 8-9/0 circles on a paternosta and small slithers of fillets on 3/0 circles for the flathead. Didn't take long for the bites to come in with a constant flow of 40cm flathead ideal for the pan. Within 20 mins my cousins monster mesh coupled with a 12000 slammer was doing the signature gummy taps. Next minute it was buckled over and had some nice little runs. It managed to wrap itself up so felt a lot bigger than it was but still a decent gummy caught and release estimated to be around 4 foot and 6-7kg.

The next hour or so it was mayhem. We got clean bitten off by what we thought could be a schoolie, we hooked onto an albatross TWICE which pecked holes in my skis gunwhale foam :( and my cousin got a thumper bluespot flathead that measured 70cm but was very thick for its size. Photo just doesn't do it justice for how big it was.

The day ended around 3pm when I had an absolute screaming run which i called early for a 25kg gummy. After a good 15 min fight on my 10k gosa and 30-50 terez up came a MASSIVE schoolie which bit me off ski side :( not that it mattered as we didnt really have room for it and would have released it anyway but still shattered we didnt get a good pic of it, but here's what we did get before it bit us off.

and with that disappointment we decided to call it a day. Still did well with 10 flathead up to 70cm and a nice gummy caught and release. Enough for a feed for the both of us. Still yet to land a big schoolie or bronzey which some here know are my personal goals. One day I will get them.

Anyway, it was a really fun day on the ski and was really useful for zipping from spot to spot. We did 88km all up which included transport and trolling and used half a tank (30 liters) not too bad I reckon. Could sit on a cruisey 45km/h in the offshore chop and could really open it up in the port sitting wheb on glass flat waters hitting close to 90km/h fully loaded in only a couple foot of water. I challenge any fishing boat out there to achieve them types of figures! (Subtle brag)

Kimtown

Re: Welshpool 8/6

Post by Kimtown » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:54 am

Apologies for the poor grammar. Typed all this on my phone and took ******* 45 mins. Dunno how some guys can be bothered doing this after every single sesh

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:49 am

Sounds like a good day on the water. Hopefully we get some more decent weather for offshore fishing soon, I find the size of the flatties out wide is consistently a lot better than in the bay.
Kimtown wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:54 am
Apologies for the poor grammar. Typed all this on my phone and took ******* 45 mins. Dunno how some guys can be bothered doing this after every single sesh
It's a lot easier on a computer.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:56 am

4liters wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:49 am
Sounds like a good day on the water. Hopefully we get some more decent weather for offshore fishing soon, I find the size of the flatties out wide is consistently a lot better than in the bay.
Kimtown wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:54 am
It's a lot easier on a computer.
Yeah all the big blue spot have apparently left the bay

True on the PC part. But I hate emailing photos of my phone to myself / uploading them to PC... I guess I'm just a lazy p****

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:30 pm

Great report Kim,
Too bad about the schoolie
Cheers Gra

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:34 pm

Nice work mate!
Those flatties would make a great feed that’s for sure.
At those speeds you would be able to zip around from place to place real fast!
Cheers :thumbsup:

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:48 pm

It now being winter, what do you wear while on the ski ???
For that matter, what do yakka's wear this time of year ??
Wolly metioned in a tread that not many people would be prepared for going overboard into very cold water.
I believe that jet skiers and yakka's would be (those with a brain anyway)
Another just wondering
Gra

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:07 pm

Great report mate
At least you got to see the shcoolie not just a "I think it was a fish" lol

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:08 pm

Great read mate great day on the water, as for the unfortunate bloke at the ramp he should never take the safety chain off till the back of the boat is in the water common sense.

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:47 pm

good job on the flathead.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”