Tough trip to Tyers

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Tough trip to Tyers

Post by croe04 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:35 pm

Hey all

Just got back from the Lake Tyers trip just under an hour ago, still winding down from the long drive and unpacking stuff to be cleaned and dried.
Was a great trip, lovely place to camp with beautiful scenery and lots of wildlife, unfortunately didn't get a touch the entire time to continue my great streak of donuts. Still I enjoyed getting away from it all for a few days but there were a fair few hiccups along the way.

First hiccup was that the kayak hire place had recently sold their Hobies and no longer did hire which led to us scrambling to organise a hire of any kind of kayak on the way there. Managed to hire two 3M sit on tops, but they were not at all fishing kayaks which made it a bit more difficult to fish. Didn't bring any bait as we had nowhere to keep it cold, so plastics and hardbodies were the go for the entire trip. My attempt at getting livebait was a failure too as nothing was getting caught in the trap.

First day had a very strong westerly wind which confined us to a very small stretch of the lakes that was sheltered enough to paddle, no chance I was going to take that on in a dinky little 3m yak.

Second day was significantly calmer, launched at 9 we were able to paddle further up the Nowa Nowa arm and cover much more water, but still no fish. Lots of mullet around the entire day, nearly every 5 minutes one of the buggers would jump out of the water as if to taunt me because I wasn't getting any action from other fish. We drifted around 5kms from our camp up the arm flicking plastics around but no dice. Headed back in the afternoon, meandering back towards camp with still no fish to be seen.
B8WNE.jpeg
All in all I think we would have done much better in a boat or in those hobies with sounders, covering more ground and finding structure + fish would have made it much easier. The water level was also pretty low and baits of prawns and pillies seemed to catch fish, but we didn't bring any. Nonetheless, I still loved being out there as the scenery while in the yak was great, and I love camping regardless if I'm catching fish or not.
IMG_1426.jpg
cheers

croe

Jasonfish1234
Has liked: 234 times

Re: Tough trip to Tyers

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:46 pm

croe04 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:35 pm
Hey all

Just got back from the Lake Tyers trip just under an hour ago, still winding down from the long drive and unpacking stuff to be cleaned and dried.
Was a great trip, lovely place to camp with beautiful scenery and lots of wildlife, unfortunately didn't get a touch the entire time to continue my great streak of donuts. Still I enjoyed getting away from it all for a few days but there were a fair few hiccups along the way.

First hiccup was that the kayak hire place had recently sold their Hobies and no longer did hire which led to us scrambling to organise a hire of any kind of kayak on the way there. Managed to hire two 3M sit on tops, but they were not at all fishing kayaks which made it a bit more difficult to fish. Didn't bring any bait as we had nowhere to keep it cold, so plastics and hardbodies were the go for the entire trip. My attempt at getting livebait was a failure too as nothing was getting caught in the trap.

First day had a very strong westerly wind which confined us to a very small stretch of the lakes that was sheltered enough to paddle, no chance I was going to take that on in a dinky little 3m yak.

Second day was significantly calmer, launched at 9 we were able to paddle further up the Nowa Nowa arm and cover much more water, but still no fish. Lots of mullet around the entire day, nearly every 5 minutes one of the buggers would jump out of the water as if to taunt me because I wasn't getting any action from other fish. We drifted around 5kms from our camp up the arm flicking plastics around but no dice. Headed back in the afternoon, meandering back towards camp with still no fish to be seen.
B8WNE.jpeg
All in all I think we would have done much better in a boat or in those hobies with sounders, covering more ground and finding structure + fish would have made it much easier. The water level was also pretty low and baits of prawns and pillies seemed to catch fish, but we didn't bring any. Nonetheless, I still loved being out there as the scenery while in the yak was great, and I love camping regardless if I'm catching fish or not.
IMG_1426.jpg
cheers

croe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIdIqbv7SPo&list=PL371732810D3A71F7 play that on camp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNftrsCMiQs while drink a coffee and thinking about life,

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:00 pm

Nice report croe. Bad luck on a few accounts there. Appreciate the donut reports on high effort trips, takes a bit of the sting out of the ones i have as well.

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:01 pm

Tyers is tough at this time of the year. Another month and the flatties will fire up. Pity you didn't post about kayak hire stuff ups. I could have washed the redbacks out of mine and lent it to you.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Jasonfish1234
Has liked: 234 times

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:17 pm

croe04 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:35 pm
Hey all

B8WNE.jpeg
IMG_1426.jpg
cheers

croe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCES1hlHnM&t=116s is that what you after mate?

John Dory

Post by John Dory » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:45 pm

Yeah thats disappointing. Bit late now but you could have salted up some bait before you left, would of kept in good nick.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:54 pm

I love camping especially when you can have a fire. Pity about the fish when I go to princetown surf fishing with the boys I vac bag some bait freeze it then double bag it in the Engel. Can’t have it tainting the beer

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:15 pm

Still sounds like a nice trip mate.
Would have been a great place to camp, relax and unwind :)
Pity about the fishing but there is always next time.
Cheers :tu:

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:06 pm

Great report Croe, spewing the more suitable kayaks were sold, though good on you for not pushing the pool toys you ended up with passed their limits. It must’ve been nice exploring the system on the 2nd day though. Which camp site did you stay at? Looks like a good trip even without that monster flatty

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:33 pm

Tim399 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:06 pm
Great report Croe, spewing the more suitable kayaks were sold, though good on you for not pushing the pool toys you ended up with passed their limits. It must’ve been nice exploring the system on the 2nd day though. Which camp site did you stay at? Looks like a good trip even without that monster flatty
Stayed at the trident arm campground, very nice spot with a great view of the night sky. Theres also a boat launch and LB options about a 5 minute walk from the campsite too. Paddling through the arms was great, there was practically no wind on the second day so slowly drifting along the glassy water was awesome, especially as the sun was going down and casting orange rays through the trees. I reckon the hobies would have made life much easier, but the little sit on tops were good fun too. I've heard the fishing turns on during the warmer months so it could be well worth another crack.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”