Donuts today offshore

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Donuts today offshore

Post by re-tyred » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:00 pm

Well finally a reasonable day for offshore in the tinny. Skipped my morning swim and run and dropped the boat in just after daylight.
Crossed the bar on the ebb tide after checking that the swell was down to less than a meter.
The trawler on the beach had an occasional wave cracking over it, but nothing on the leads.
Went straight out to the six mile. I had some of the salmon that I caught up the lake, for bait.
Had a bait in the water by 6-30am and quickly converted it to a bulleye gurnard. Then a Sgt Baker followed by various reef fish. Moved a cpl of time for much the same. So into the eastern end of the four mile. Lots of bites lots of bait lost, nothing but rubbish. I thought about heading west but with the first signs of a bit of easterly I decided against it. I am too old to be driving back up against an easterly slop getting wet.
Alternate plan was go in closer and try for a flathead. With water temp at 13c I wasn't holding much hope.
Half hour later and some king size bulleyes, then up comes a small blue spot flathead. It was just 29cm so I threw it back. Then more bulleyes, so I gave it away and headed in.
I had a bit of a snoop around at the ramp and it would appear that the place for pinkies is the reef off Metung. This is 7-8nm southwest of the entrance. So next time the weather is good that is where I will start.
A few whales about too.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Re: Donuts today offshore

Post by e.welch » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:13 pm

cool would have been nice if you caught dinner

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:46 pm

Good try mate
You find the fish next time

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:03 pm

Good luck with the pinkies next time mate.
The whales would have been exciting to see!
Cheers :tu:

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”