Water temp up and no more donuts

ango

Water temp up and no more donuts

Post by ango » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:55 am

Hi All,
I went out from Paynesville last Thursday to see if the duskies were back in the lakes. There were no other trailers in the car park when I launched the boat at 8.30 am so I did not get my hopes up. The water temp was up to 19.2 degrees and after much searching, success at last, a good size flattie, about 42 cm or so and it sure wanted that lure, totally engulfed it.
Cheers
Ango.
Attachments
m_IMG_1864.jpg

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Water temp up and no more donuts

Post by CarlG » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:23 am

Nice fatty mate.
Can't wait for Mako season to start so we can try for a few tiger fatties on the drift...

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:48 am

Yes they are very keen, had them follow the bait to the surface in 20 mtrs offshore last week. Water temp jumped this week to close to 17deg offshore.
Should be all on this next cpl of weeks with the moon phases right as well
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:54 pm

I fished out of Paynesville week before last (as well as Mallacoota, lake tyres and off shore from lakes entrance) chasing flatties on SP. let me just say it was very hard going. A lot of effort was put in and some long days for very little reward. We couldn’t even raise a feed off shore as we were plagued by tidlers (on bait). Doughnuts from Tyres. 1 good dusky from Paynesville and a very underwhelming 6 flatties under 50cm and a few bream produced from 3 and a half solid days fishing Mallacoota hard.

I too blamed the cool water so I’m glad to hear it’s turning on now as ill head back soon and try again. The prawns are about too but only up to medium size and not huge numbers yet. If only the wind would let up more often and I could stay off the beers long enough for it to get dark so I could have chased them more!

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”