Lakes Entrance Kingfish

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Lakes Entrance Kingfish

Post by re-tyred » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:52 am

Well it is well known that Kingfish come into the lake system during the warmer months. They are usually quite difficult to catch, so very few target them. They pop up in a number of locations but are there for maybe a day or a few hours and gone. The end result is very few people use heavy gear, when they do get a kingy they get spooled. It is somewhat difficult to land one on 4lb flatty gear.
For many years I have trolled heavier gear in a few locations in a vain attempt to get one. I have been spooled on light gear, but as soon as I target them i don't get a thing.
Heard a few rumours that some had been hooked up around the footbridge this week. Went down there Wednesday for zip, just one small salmon.
Well today thought I would go and have a fish. Loaded the whiting gear, bait and a heavy lure rod. As I left the ramp i chucked the heavy gear in and trolled my way towards the north arm hwy bridge. You just never know. As i past under the bridge I had a small nudge then a bit of weight , so put the boat out of gear and wound in what was obviously a small salmon. When i still had around 20mtrs of line to go,bang.... weight comes on and things suddenly go nuts. Reel is peeling off line like nuts. Cranked the brake up a bit and my rod is bent double, 8ft 10kg that is very flexible. Off this fish goes one way , then back another. I was gaining line when it changed direction and then losing it again. Couple of guys at the skate park ramp spotted me and start pointing, soon we have a small crowd as I drift/get towed closer to the ramp. Dare i think this is a kingfish? Certainly isn't a skate and going too hard for even a big salmon and anyway I had a small salmon and something gobbled it up.
Finally start to beat this thing into submission and get it close to the boat, flash of yellow tail, big fish, must be a kingy, bzzz of it goes out of sight again. Another couple of minutes battle and yes it is doing circles under the boat, definitely a kingy. Grab the net in one hand and try to get it in as it zooms past. Touched it and bzzzzz off it goes. Ok deep breath.. battle it back, think calm thoughts, get net, scoop it goes in and bounces back out taking enough line that i can't reach it. Drop net wind it back in, let is circle get the timing right and in the net, drag the net over the side and its bouncing around the deck thrashing about and tangling every thing in a spare prawn net i had sitting there... Crowd that was collectively holding it's breath gives a cheer. Yeah my first kingfish out of the lake...
70cm not huge by kingy standards but a darn good fish.
Spent an hour trying to repeat it but no go, so I went down the entrance and caught a small salmon, came back and put it out as a live bait, No takers. Oh well another one ticked off the bucket list.
Attachments
kingfish 2020-01-10 at 09.19.06.jpeg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Lakes Entrance Kingfish

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:57 am

bloody ripper!!! well done mate, that would have been so much fun

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:24 pm

Can I ask what type of lure and rod/reel combo were you using?

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:11 pm

:wt: Nothing special, reel is just an chinese egg beater, 12+1 bearing 8000.I did replace the brake washers in it. Rod is an 8ft whipstick, very flexible fibreglass. Lure is just a bibbed lure that I picked u of the beach last week :) , mind you the lure caught the salmon that the Kingfish decided was his. :rf:
Attachments
rod2.jpg
rod1.jpg
rod 3.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:12 pm

Oh and that is 60lb braid with a 50lb mono leader

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:38 pm

Very nice mate!
Sounds like it was a great fight! Glad you ended up landing it in the end :gj:

ben475
Has liked: 162 times

Post by ben475 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:21 pm

nice story!

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:56 pm

Good on you, well done.
I'm jealous, I've never caught a kingfish.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Tackleberry
Has liked: 301 times

Post by Tackleberry » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:13 am

re-tyred wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:52 am
Well it is well known that Kingfish come into the lake system during the warmer months. They are usually quite difficult to catch, so very few target them. They pop up in a number of locations but are there for maybe a day or a few hours and gone. The end result is very few people use heavy gear, when they do get a kingy they get spooled. It is somewhat difficult to land one on 4lb flatty gear.
For many years I have trolled heavier gear in a few locations in a vain attempt to get one. I have been spooled on light gear, but as soon as I target them i don't get a thing.
Heard a few rumours that some had been hooked up around the footbridge this week. Went down there Wednesday for zip, just one small salmon.
Well today thought I would go and have a fish. Loaded the whiting gear, bait and a heavy lure rod. As I left the ramp i chucked the heavy gear in and trolled my way towards the north arm hwy bridge. You just never know. As i past under the bridge I had a small nudge then a bit of weight , so put the boat out of gear and wound in what was obviously a small salmon. When i still had around 20mtrs of line to go,bang.... weight comes on and things suddenly go nuts. Reel is peeling off line like nuts. Cranked the brake up a bit and my rod is bent double, 8ft 10kg that is very flexible. Off this fish goes one way , then back another. I was gaining line when it changed direction and then losing it again. Couple of guys at the skate park ramp spotted me and start pointing, soon we have a small crowd as I drift/get towed closer to the ramp. Dare i think this is a kingfish? Certainly isn't a skate and going too hard for even a big salmon and anyway I had a small salmon and something gobbled it up.
Finally start to beat this thing into submission and get it close to the boat, flash of yellow tail, big fish, must be a kingy, bzzz of it goes out of sight again. Another couple of minutes battle and yes it is doing circles under the boat, definitely a kingy. Grab the net in one hand and try to get it in as it zooms past. Touched it and bzzzzz off it goes. Ok deep breath.. battle it back, think calm thoughts, get net, scoop it goes in and bounces back out taking enough line that i can't reach it. Drop net wind it back in, let is circle get the timing right and in the net, drag the net over the side and its bouncing around the deck thrashing about and tangling every thing in a spare prawn net i had sitting there... Crowd that was collectively holding it's breath gives a cheer. Yeah my first kingfish out of the lake...
70cm not huge by kingy standards but a darn good fish.
Spent an hour trying to repeat it but no go, so I went down the entrance and caught a small salmon, came back and put it out as a live bait, No takers. Oh well another one ticked off the bucket list.
Could not have happened to a nicer bloke ......

Cheers TAC
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:53 pm

Well done mate.!
Tbh, any kingy is a good kingy. Catching one like that, takes a bit of skill and luck, good On ya.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”