KGW Gippsland Lakes

Pirkz
Has liked: 229 times

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes -Same but different

Post by Pirkz » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:49 pm

Decide late on, after a trip to Coles to get 3kg of bannana prawns for the week ahead, to get afloat for a few hours.Launched Paynesville yachclub ramp around 1pm and headed across to SWH which was in the lee of a stiffening Southeasterly. Aim was to catch a kgw from somehwere different down towards Loch Sport. Chugged up and down for an hour or so looking for suitable bottom but to no avail. Tried various depths and areas but couldnt lose a bait and didnt see any fish so headed back around SWH to fish the flats just to the North. 3 or 4 moves in - still nothing but small bream . Finally around 230pm found a few in 1.1m over broken sand /weed. By 4pm had had enough for the day - 10 kgw 34-38 and a couple of keeper bream.;pretty much the first KGW from the south side of the Bunga arm channel. Reports of some sizeable fish from some of the usual spots behindFlannagans Island so may head up that way tomorrow.
Tight Lines
Pirkz
Attachments
15 FEBX10 MARKER105.jpg

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes

Post by re-tyred » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:44 pm

I tried back of Flannagan, just two. One was a horse. 46cm over 1 kg.
Attachments
IMG_20240216_110659_509.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Paulanderson
Has liked: 63 times

Post by Paulanderson » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:31 pm

Well I finally found a few decent KGW near the Barrier Landing today - they were were very timid and the Toadies were biting a lot harder than the Whiting. Bait was prawn. Anyway I ended up with 6 between 34 and 37 cm, lost a couple of decent fish, and released 2 around 30 cm. Many "micro moves" and much patience required! A fellow tinny fisherman did better than I did but started fishing much earlier.
Attachments
KGW 18 FEB 3.jpg

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:27 am

Headed over to the shallows North of Sperm Whale Head for a few hrs yesterday. Started slowly with numerous moves resulting in a lone KGW. Was going to call stumps after 2 hrs of roaming but after literally circling the flats by the Red pegs East of Raymond Island decided to fish the exact same spot as a previous trip. Flat light on a grey overcast day and wavelets from a stiffening Easterley made spotting the sandy bits quite hard but using the previous days Navionics marker and a good pair of Maui Jims, I was able to find X marks the spot. Resigned to chicken for T and lacking any real motivation or anticipation, I baited up once more , cast 10 m back, placed rod in holder and poured a cup of T .....which normally works. ....whack rods bends around, cup fumbled, T spilt, fish missed ( this time) but finally Game on. The next 2 hrs were spent standing and holding the rod and 9 more KGW 35- 43 came aboard.Also lost a few. good uns , probably due to striking too early and lip hooking too lightly. Even changed hook size n pattern a couple times..standard 8 to red pretied long shank 8, to circle 6 to see if it made a difference....it didn't...still a few escapees. Good fun on light gear though with 2kg line.And my thanks must go to the two that headed to the horizon ripping line from the spool ( past the index finger controlling the strike with an open bailarm).It was a real buzz & pleasure almost meeting you ...albeit briefly. Hopefully we shall meet again on Monday as I reckon area X-ray will get another visit.
Tight Lines
Pirkz
Last edited by Pirkz on Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:50 am

Hopefully some nice fish for you next time mate.
I just had some success on the whiting myself albeit in ppb not lakes. The bigger one do take some line.. good fun when they are around in numbers..

Andyj
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Andyj » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:24 pm

Pirkz wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:27 am
Headed over to the shallows North of Sperm Whale Head for a few hrs yesterday. Started slowly with numerous moves resulting in a lone KGW. Was going to call stumps after 2 hrs of roaming but after literally circling the flats by the Red pegs East of Raymond Island decided to fish the exact same spot as a previous trip. Flat light on a grey overcast day and wavelets from a stiffening Easterley made spotting the sandy bits quite hard but using the previous days Navionics marker and a good pair of Maui Jims, I was able to find X marks the spot. Resigned to chicken for T and lacking any real motivation or anticipation, I baited up once more , cast 10 m back, placed rod in holder and poured a cup of T .....which normally works. ....whack rods bends around, cup fumbled, T spilt, fish missed ( this time) but finally Game on. The next 2 hrs were spent standing and holding the rod and 9 more KGW 35- 43 came aboard.Also lost a few. good uns , probably due to striking too early and lip hooking too lightly. Even changed hook size n pattern a couple times..standard 8 to red pretied long shank 8, to circle 6 to see if it made a difference....it didn't...still a few escapees. Good fun on light gear though ( 2kg line.And my thanks must go to the two that headed to the horizon ripping line from the spool ( past the index finger controlling the strike with an open bailarm) once hooked .It was a real buzz & pleasure almost meeting you ...albeit briefly Hopefully we shall meet again on Monday as I reckon area X-ray will get another visit.
Tight Lines
Pirkz

Andyj
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Andyj » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:28 pm

Hi Pirkz
Just moved to Raymond island. If you ever want a fishing buddy, would love to learn about whiting fishing in the area. Happy to contribute to bait and costs etc. Thanks Andy

Pirkz

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes on Sps

Post by Pirkz » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:21 pm

Visited Duck Arm for the first time today for nowt.Headed over to X marks the spot and caught 9 KGW to 43 in an hour between 2 of us incl several on SPs which was a first for my offsider. Left em biting at 1.30 pm as had to be elsewhere.
Pirkz+1 :ft:
Ps Andyj PMd

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:15 pm

And finally before flying 16000km to the office thought that I would sneak a few hrs afloat today expecting easy pickings. Wrong .....2 hrs turned into 3 and 1 kgw was turned into 5 ...finally after several moves around the same area as yesterday. Several undersized released.Highlight of the day being stung by a wasp whilst my shirt was off getting some uvs before grey European skies!
Tight Lines till April
Pirkz

Paulanderson
Has liked: 63 times

Post by Paulanderson » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:42 pm

Well my fishing week so far. An early morning run to the Barrier Landing Monday for 2 KGW at 36 and 37 cm and hordes of Toadies. Tried again early Tuesday for just 1 KGW about the same size. Thursday mid afternoon I had a wander around Rigby Is for zip and arrived at the barrier just before low tide. A after about 20 minutes dead on low tide I caught 3 KGW one after the other - then nothing. Not very big at 32 - 33 cm. I was just packing up when a rod tried to launch out the back of the boat - after a serious fight I had a large Flathead beside the boat Getting it in the landing net was a challenge but finally had it in the boat - at 72 cm the largest Flattie I have ever caught. This was on a size 6 KGW rig on 9 lb line on a small piece of prawn.

Pic tomorrow when I re-size it!

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”