Offshore Lakes Entrance

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Re: Offshore Lakes Entrance

Post by re-tyred » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:06 pm

Paulanderson wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:32 pm
re-tyred do you put down a burley pot when chasing Gunnies or are they a by-product of drifting for Flatties. Also where is Petman's please? I have found that fishing a paternoster rig and keeping baits off the bottom reduces the number of rays that get hooked up.
I do burley if I anchor, often just drift as tend to get more flatties that way. I only use poternaster, sliding rigs get endless rays.
Petmans is 4-5 mile past tyers
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

ango

Post by ango » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:45 pm

I had a go this morning, I fished west of the entrance in about 20 m, I do not anchor, only drift. After a procession of gurnards and undersize flatties, and also a good workout with a skate (on slider rig) I ended up with one gummy on a paternoster rig so for sure paternoster rigs are the go, I will give the slider rigs a miss in the future. Caught the gummy on squid, it was not a monster but a good eating size.
Cheers

Tackleberry
Has liked: 301 times

Post by Tackleberry » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:17 am

Screenshot_20240321_021420_Chrome_copy_1024x1411.jpg
I see the water temp is dropping again
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

Paulanderson
Has liked: 62 times

Post by Paulanderson » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:43 am

A long day out with a friend in a much bigger boat yesterday. Fished various spots as far as the pipeline. End was result was just 2 decent Flathead and a legal but not very big Gummy. Lots of very small School Sharks in some spots and the occasional other small fish returned. All in all a very poor return for over 8 hours of fishing but was a nice day out there!

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:56 pm

Tackleberry wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:17 am
Screenshot_20240321_021420_Chrome_copy_1024x1411.jpg
I see the water temp is dropping again
Another upwelling. Currents running from the east out on the shelf. Forces cold water up out of Bass Canyon.
This is why there are millions of mackerel around
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:58 pm

Paulanderson wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:43 am
A long day out with a friend in a much bigger boat yesterday. Fished various spots as far as the pipeline. End was result was just 2 decent Flathead and a legal but not very big Gummy. Lots of very small School Sharks in some spots and the occasional other small fish returned. All in all a very poor return for over 8 hours of fishing but was a nice day out there!
Try the 8 mile in 42-46 MTRS Been some good snapper there.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 pm

Had a day offshore today. Weather was still a bit ordinary.
Went to the pipeline, nothing but bulleye gurnard. Tried the beach for gummies, just 3 good size flatties for an hour.
So we moved back to the rocks 4 mile south of the entrance. Picked up 6 snapper 38 -45 cm.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:25 pm

Left an hour before daylight so that I could cross the bar on the last of the flood tide. Flat calm offshore. Headed east till just past Lake Tyers in 12 MTRS. Baited up using a headlight. Dropped them down and started drifting slowly offshore. Just on daylight , down went a rod, bit of a tentative bite, then a bit of weight,too much for a flatty. Gave a bit of a fight and up came a medium gummy. Checked my depth. Out in 16 MTRS
Baited up and dropped it over, then headed and gutted the gummy. Put him in the Esky with some iced salt water and sat back down. 5 minutes later down went the other rod. Not much of a fight again, up came his twin. Ok sun hasn't quite cleared the horizon and I have my bag of gummies. I motored over to the bluff to try for a pinky, but a bit late in the season for them to be in the shallows. Zero results there
Moved out to try for a flatty, half an hour without a bite. So headed in for breakfast. Full ebb tide at the bar which made the crossing a little tricky with large pressure waves right between the rock walls. Cleared them with a raised heart rate. That's today's excitement. Now for a cuppa tea and relax in the sun at home.

Tackleberry
Has liked: 301 times

Post by Tackleberry » Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:20 pm

Well done ...... it can Definitely be interesting at the entrance with a full run out at times .
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:49 pm

Today's rescue in the entrance.Lake hire boat, Not enough power to beat the ebb tide. 2mtr swell 3.5knt ebb.
Very close to a tragedy. Pressure waves were so steep I had to take the yellow boat out through them before I could turn around.
Attachments
IMG_20240404_130150.jpg
IMG_20240404_130352.jpg

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”