Summer fishing

redmullet

Summer fishing

Post by redmullet » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:53 pm

Hi there, I'll be heading over from SA and was wondering whether any of the lakes or streams in the Grampian / Western Victoria areas are worth fishing in the dry period? I mainly wade and flick soft plastics and hard bodies although I have access to a small dinghy if needbe. I usually head over around August but have plans to come over next week.

Any suggestions or general comments welcome.

Cheers, Bill

Rod Bender

Re: Summer fishing

Post by Rod Bender » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:24 pm

Welcome to the site. I can't help you with the area but I can tell you it is very dry across the state, possibly above average dryness...with fire activity in many locations. You are obviously aware of how tough dry conditions can be, well I think it is worse case scenario! Hopefully someone here may be able to help you.
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Post by seephil » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:51 pm

Rod Bender wrote:Welcome to the site. I can't help you with the area but I can tell you it is very dry across the state, possibly above average dryness...with fire activity in many locations. You are obviously aware of how tough dry conditions can be, well I think it is worse case scenario! Hopefully someone here may be able to help you
Jim
X2 :(

kubepau

Post by kubepau » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:53 pm

My Mum lives out that way, and last time I spoke to her she had just bought a kayak and taken it out on the Wimmera River at Horseshoe Bend, Dimboola, so there must be water around somewhere.

If so, there are often reddies, catfish, smallish yellowbellies (I often hear of yellas around Horsham, but never seen one myself), and of course carp in there.

redmullet

Post by redmullet » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:06 am

Thanks guys. Well you were right, very very dry. Seeing the water level at Lake Toolondo was very disappointing.. Lake Fyans was a little better. Still plenty of pools in the nearby rivers but not ideal conditions.. Carp at Horsham only. Lets hope this recent rainfall helps

jd23td

Post by jd23td » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:38 am

G"day Red mullet lake fyans and lake wartook definately worth a shot at first and last light for trout and low and behold last time i was at wartook at melb cup weekend spotted people catching trout off the wall in the middle of the day when the sun shining on a clear warm day. wartook should be good now on Yabbies or worms with the rain. Careful of the submerged timber if you head out in the boat. Good fishing to ya

Return to “Grampians and Surrounds Fishing Reports”