Newlyn Reservoir

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Newlyn Reservoir

Post by Lightningx » Tue May 17, 2016 4:00 pm

PDXSerric wrote:Interesting. I have a few Tassies (not in the colour pattern you've outlined, however). I'll try a combination of the two this weekend. I might start with a spinner and move to tassies and keep my fingers crossed.

Cheers!
Good luck mate let us know how you go :thumbsup:

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Tue May 17, 2016 4:11 pm

PDXSerric wrote:Interesting. I have a few Tassies (not in the colour pattern you've outlined, however). I'll try a combination of the two this weekend. I might start with a spinner and move to tassies and keep my fingers crossed.

Cheers!
I have had some success on soft plastics particular Fish Arrow Flash J shads in 3 and 4 inch rigged on a weighted size 1 or 2 worm hook. They come in a variety of colours to match the local baitfish. Always handy to have options available especially when the trout are picky.
Attachments
IMAG1340.jpg

PDXSerric

Post by PDXSerric » Mon May 23, 2016 12:48 pm

Oof! Went out Sat morning. No wind, which was nice, but cold. First light at about 650am, sunrise around 705. Git a few hits early on using a gold spinner (mate was using a tassie devil, had more hits than me) - all lasted for about 5-10 mins then nothing. This DESPITE the fact fat brown trout were jumping a stone's throw away from us, giving us whatever version of the finger fish have.

Tried changing lures to a blade and even a decent red stumpjumper, but nothing.

Love getting out, but would like a little more action....

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Mon May 23, 2016 1:20 pm

When the trout are being picky I try to find what they are feeding on, if I cant I mix up my lures from hardbodys to SP's and spinners I even throw out a float rigged bait especially as you said you saw them on the surface. Another option is to rig a fly, worm or mudeye on a bubble float and slowly retrieve it. I'm no expert trout fisherman but what I've mentioned usually works for me but then I've had days were whatever I do the fish just wont play ball its just part of fishing I suppose.

PDXSerric

Post by PDXSerric » Mon May 23, 2016 3:37 pm

Ya, I do try to change it up a little but haven't ried live bait yet. Seeing what the ducks were bringing up, it looked like baitfish was what the trout were after. Next time I go out I'll try my hand at baitcasting with a float....

Return to “Grampians and Surrounds Fishing Reports”