Planning a trip to Lakes Entrance next week

PDXSerric

Planning a trip to Lakes Entrance next week

Post by PDXSerric » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:37 am

And looking to do some freshwater winter fishing. Any suggestions in a 1/2 hr - 45 min distance?

Lures. 8-10lb test.

simon2g

Re: Planning a trip to Lakes Entrance next week

Post by simon2g » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:17 am

Unlucky to be missing out on trout season as it ends. You could have had a drive to the snowy mountains. Beautiful place there aswell

chris srsc

Post by chris srsc » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:38 pm

Bream in the tambo
FISH1617 : 183CM

Salt (38cm) Trevely 38cm snapper 65cm gummy 80cm
Fresh (0cm) 

PDXSerric

Post by PDXSerric » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:18 pm

Yeah, the Snowy Mts sound nice, but I have family in Johsonville, so that's where it'll be. Camping in summer, however...

I've heard of the bream but never fished them. I hear prawn is the way to go, but how do they fare on soft lures or cranks?

chris srsc

Post by chris srsc » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:38 pm

Ive only ever used prawns..but i guess if their there they might take a lure...
FISH1617 : 183CM

Salt (38cm) Trevely 38cm snapper 65cm gummy 80cm
Fresh (0cm) 

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:56 pm

If you want to fish freshwater around that area then start around Bruthen which isn't far away and the further north you head the better the fishing will get. :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

bigdan91

Post by bigdan91 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:16 pm

simon2g wrote:Unlucky to be missing out on trout season as it ends. You could have had a drive to the snowy mountains. Beautiful place there aswell
I'm heading up to lake tyers friday night then 4wding north through buchan and the snowys on saturday. Where you reckon the go-to trout spots are?

simon2g

Post by simon2g » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:22 am

bigdan91 wrote:
simon2g wrote:Unlucky to be missing out on trout season as it ends. You could have had a drive to the snowy mountains. Beautiful place there aswell
I'm heading up to lake tyers friday night then 4wding north through buchan and the snowys on saturday. Where you reckon the go-to trout spots are?
I am definitely not overly familiar with the area to give out spots. Nor do I remember specific roads leading down to the streams. I didn't do any fishing when I was away there, went with the Mrs. and sadly left the rods at home. At the end of the trip she succumbed and I bought a hand reel and popped a line in at Tidal river on the way back home as we spent the last day on the way home to Melbourne at the Prom.

That whole area from Buchan to the Snowys was probably some of the best driving I have had the pleasure of doing, seeing no one for km's and windy roads through open plained mountains was absolutely beautiful. Felt like another world.

If you go to maps, look at the where the Buchan river passes through the main part of town, and drive out towards the where it meets the Snowy River closer to the park. Anywhere along there and creeks/streams coming off them would be fishable too.
Buchan can be quite deep in some parts, up to 2-2.5M so depending on how much rain they've had could be higher. Check it out and see what's fishable around there.

Also check out this link, http://delwp.vic.gov.au/fishing-and-hun ... ing-waters

Enjoy it mate, beautiful place.

PDXSerric

Post by PDXSerric » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:47 am

Bruthen, hmm? Just by looking at GoogleMaps it seems there are a few deep holes off the E Gippsland Rail Trail that are accessible by foot. Maybe this time of year the area under the Bruthen-Buchan Rd bridge may be ok, but it's not ideal. It looks like if you take the great Alpine Rd North about 5.5-6 km there's a small turnout that looks like it might provide a decent spot ("Lot 4A Great Alpine Rd, Bruthern VIC 3885") , but this time of year, I am just not certain.

Return to “Grampians and Surrounds Fishing Reports”