LAKE TOOLONDO - WHAT ARE YOU DOING GWM WATER

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: LAKE TOOLONDO - WHAT ARE YOU DOING GWM WATER

Post by ducky » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:21 pm

Trophy lake in this state? 3kg trout exist in virtually every western lake that has received a stocking. As for 40cm plus redfin. Every poo hole that holds big fish that prevent reddies stunting out will produce 40cm reddies.

The main outcry has been from people who make money off the lake. Personally if the lake isn't viable on its own it shouldn't be propped up. This year has had floods all over the state and this fishery needs a release to survive?

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:37 pm

[quote="ducky"]Trophy lake in this state? 3kg trout exist in virtually every western lake that has received a stocking. As for 40cm plus redfin. Every poo hole that holds big fish that prevent reddies stunting out will produce 40cm reddies.
Last edited by fishpod on Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:40 pm

fishpod wrote:
cobby wrote:
fishpod wrote:
cobby wrote:
ducky wrote:Toolondo certainly seems to need a lot of water. Is it really that viable a lake?
Not really. It's catchment area is virtually non-existent and relies solely on releases out of rocklands to remain anything more than a mostly dry shallow swamp
They released 10,000ml not 5000 and it will bring the level to 35% and an average depth of around 5 meters, this dry shallow swamp is one of the best brown trout fisheries in the world, even when it was at 7% capacity it produced Trout over the 3kg mark along with 40 plus cm redfin, if marketed properly it would attract Anglers from around the world, it is the backbone of the whole area and is well worth looking after
Regardless, if substantial rainfall is non-existent then Toolondo dies. No ifs, no buts. Rockands has a lot more riding on its survival and priority will always remain with it, not diverting water to maintain Toolondo.
I'm not against Toolondos existence, but the crying from the fishing fraternity over it's survival prior to the recent rainfall was farcical. You can't bleed a multifaceted reservoir with a need to maintain environmental flow to a natural watercourse dry just so (in my opinion the most over rated species of fish in the world) Trout can be caught by anglers
So what's wrong with wanting a world class trout fishing lake in our state, a lake that produces consistant results for the angler? Just because you don't rate trout fishing doesn't mean that everyone else can't have it, the anglers who fought to save it put there heart and soul into making sure the lake survived, did you know that during the drought Rocklands was releasing water regularily down the glenelg river which most ended up out to sea? Anyway, each to their own I suppose
There is nothing wrong with wanting Toolondo to be a world class fishery. You're purely pulling conclusions out of what I said that are nonexistent. I said the crying PRIOR to the recent rainfall that pushed Rocklands ABOVE the Toolondo diversion trigger was farcical. I never said that now there's water available it shouldn't be diverted.
You do realise what environmental flow releases are intended to do right? It's to maintain at the absolute minimum a natural watercourse (in this case the Glenelg) to prevent dead spots and excess siltation. It will always flow out to sea as all rivers naturally do, and as the environmental flows especially during drought periods are intended to do.

I take it you haven't been in the upper Victorian reaches of the Snowy river? You stand under Mackillops bridge, your head should be well under water if the hydro scheme never came to fruition such is the sheer amount of water held and diverted elsewhere

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:52 pm

fishpod wrote:
ducky wrote:Trophy lake in this state? 3kg trout exist in virtually every western lake that has received a stocking. As for 40cm plus redfin. Every poo hole that holds big fish that prevent reddies stunting out will produce 40cm reddies.

The main outcry has been from people who make money off the lake. Personally if the lake isn't viable on its own it shouldn't be propped up. This year has had floods all over the state and this fishery needs a release to survive?
That's a bit harsh, sounds to me like you havn't caught too many big trout, maybe you should stick to your wasting all your money on fishing gear and not catching anything, just because others have a different opinion to you doesn't mean we have to take your side of things, you wouldn't know what a trophy trout lake was :down:
i dunno, you might want to check his post history... i recall ducky posting some fairly hefty trout on more than one occasion
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:56 pm

Who cares cobby, this is a fishing forum and for fishing sake I say lets save Toolondo, what's wrong with that. At the moment there is enough water to go into Toolondo and so it should

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:01 pm

4liters wrote:
fishpod wrote:
ducky wrote:Trophy lake in this state? 3kg trout exist in virtually every western lake that has received a stocking. As for 40cm plus redfin. Every poo hole that holds big fish that prevent reddies stunting out will produce 40cm reddies.

That's a bit harsh, sounds to me like you havn't caught too many big trout, maybe you should stick to your wasting all your money on fishing gear and not catching anything, just because others have a different opinion to you doesn't mean we have to take your side of things, you wouldn't know what a trophy trout lake was :down:
i dunno, you might want to check his post history... i recall ducky posting some fairly hefty trout on more than one occasion
Cheers for the quote before he deleted it goonbag.

How is it harsh? Whilst a 3kg trout is certainly a great size it's definitely not unique to one waterway. They are in plenty of western lakes that have a history of stocking.

As for wasting money on fishing gear. Didn't realise you had any say at all in how I handle my finances. Mind your own business ********.

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:07 pm

ducky wrote:
4liters wrote:
fishpod wrote:

Cheers for the quote before he deleted it goonbag.

How is it harsh? Whilst a 3kg trout is certainly a great size it's definitely not unique to one waterway. They are in plenty of western lakes that have a history of stocking.

As for wasting money on fishing gear. Didn't realise you had any say at all in how I handle my finances. Mind your own business ********.
I don't remember calling you names, gee there's some sooks on here, grow some balls

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:55 pm

Says the bloke bitching about a lake that can't survive without water from a far more important reservoir?
Mate you're a complete tool and need to realise that there's at least 3 other lakes out west that are "trophy trout lakes" with fish a hell of a lot bigger than 3kg, i mean have you seen the fish out of purrumbete? There's genuine 15-20lbers in that place which would make a 3kg trout look like a minnow.
And as far as ducky having never caught a big trout? Are you serious mate? He's posted a few on here and I'm sure there's a fair few more he's caught and never felt the need to post, some fisherman fish for themselves and don't feel the need for an ego boost when they do catch a trophy fish. The guy is a gun fisherman and I'd lay a wager he could outfish you on any gear you pick, be it a hand line or a $1000 combo.
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:38 am

You forgot Cam, the fish out of the crater lakes aren't disproportionate footballs like Toolondos are
fishpod wrote: Who cares cobby, this is a fishing forum and for fishing sake I say lets save Toolondo, what's wrong with that. At the moment there is enough water to go into Toolondo and so it should
Since you clearly lack the cognitive functioning to understand what I said here it is in plain English for the third and final time. Those that were crying for a water release into Toolondo BEFORE the recent rainfall are ******* morons. Rockland's went above the 116 mark, Toolondo gets water. If Rockland's never gets to the 116 mark ever again Toolondo disappears forever.

And you seem to forget, without a somewhat healthy environment there is no fishing. No Glenelg river means more than just a few vested interests disappear

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:29 am

If it's a choice between giving water to a spotted carp fishery or giving it to one of the state's best mulloway fisheries I know which one I'd be pouring the water into... not to mention all the other tourist-y stuff that goes on along the Glenelg.

I mean there are towns that probably depend on the river for drinking water and irrigation but I guess trout are more important than mains water and rural jobs
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Grampians and Surrounds Fishing Reports”