Good news for Lake Toolondo

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Good news for Lake Toolondo

Post by Boonanza » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:39 pm

Western Victorians and visitors to the iconic Toolondo Reservoir will benefit from additional water being transferred into one of Victoria's premier fishing spots.

Minister for Water Lisa Neville announced today around five gigalitres (GL) of water will be released into Lake Toolondo from Rocklands Reservoir from next week – enough to ensure reasonable levels into next year.

The transfer between the two Grampians Wimmera Mallee Water storages won't impact farmers or other entitlement holders.

The transfer of water to Lake Toolondo is expected to maintain water levels above the fishery reference level of 2.5 metres throughout 2018-19 – sustaining the fishery over summer and into next year.

The trigger to supply Toolondo was recently reached when the recorded volume of water in Rocklands Reservoir passed 116 GL. Transferring the water is also part of normal water management, with Toolondo able to be used in conjunction with Rocklands Reservoir to maximise the efficiency of water storage.

The Andrews Labor Government has been a strong supporter of the Toolondo fishery – delivering on an election commitment to provide water to the Reservoir – with an extra five GL of water supplied in early 2015.

Since then the Labor Government has worked closely with the local community and stakeholders, and Grampians Wimmera Mallee Water to find ways to ensure healthy water levels in the Reservoir.

The Labor Government's Water for Victoria policy acknowledges the recreational values of our water resources and the need to consider these in how we manage water, and the Target One Million plan to get more people fishing also recognises the Lake as an important fishery.

In further support for the fishery since 2014, 48,000 trout have been stocked and $16,000 in funding was provided for the Toolondo boat ramp.

Quotes attributable to Minister for Water Lisa Neville

"A transfer of water to Lake Toolondo will start early next week providing welcome news for locals, and recreational users and anglers from across the region."

"This is a great example of using our water resources to benefit communities – having a sustainable fishery means social and recreational benefits and a significant boost to the local economy."

Quote attributable to Agriculture Minister Jaala Pullford

"We know that Toolondo is a trout fishery of national importance and we've worked hard to make sure it continues to be a premier destination for freshwater anglers – and a key part of our Target One Million plan."
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: Good news for Lake Toolondo

Post by Texas » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:45 pm

Great news boony
Must go there one day, been told it's a great fishery
Still waiting on my employer to see if I'm employed or not
Cheers Gra

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:00 pm

Toolondo is well and truely over-rated imo. It's a shallow puddle that is not viable in our current climate, and I'm sick and tired of the banter and waste of fishing licence money going into it. Wake up!!

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:38 pm

That's your opinion mate and you are entitled to it just posting for anyone interested in fishing there :water:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

cantcatchem

Post by cantcatchem » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:50 pm

Redhunter wrote:Toolondo is well and truely over-rated imo. It's a shallow puddle that is not viable in our current climate, and I'm sick and tired of the banter and waste of fishing licence money going into it. Wake up!!
It is one of the best trout and redfin fisheries in the state, I'm surprised you hold that opinion, the only problem with it is that you need a boat. I have been fishing it for 35 years and it still continues produce, anyway, each to their own I suppose :thumbsup:

Redhunter

Post by Redhunter » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:51 pm

Boonanza wrote:That's your opinion mate and you are entitled to it just posting for anyone interested in fishing there :water:
Absolutely! Just my opinion, nothing personal at all mate.
I do wish that times were different and Toolondo could fill and flourish like it has in time gone by, but I strongly believe those times have changed and it is currently not viable. In time, this will change...

Redhunter

Post by Redhunter » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:01 pm

cantcatchem wrote:
Redhunter wrote:Toolondo is well and truely over-rated imo. It's a shallow puddle that is not viable in our current climate, and I'm sick and tired of the banter and waste of fishing licence money going into it. Wake up!!
It is one of the best trout and redfin fisheries in the state, I'm surprised you hold that opinion, the only problem with it is that you need a boat. I have been fishing it for 35 years and it still continues produce, anyway, each to their own I suppose :thumbsup:
No better than Fyans or Wartook imo which are just down the road, but yes, each to their own mate. It would be sad to see Toolondo disappear for a period, but times are getting tough as we're heading straight back into another drought. Again, things will bounce back, and this lake will again flourish. Just not now. I feel it's simply a case of tough reality.

cantcatchem

Post by cantcatchem » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:15 pm

Redhunter wrote:
cantcatchem wrote:
No better than Fyans or Wartook imo which are just down the road, but yes, each to their own mate. It would be sad to see Toolondo disappear for a period, but times are getting tough as we're heading straight back into another drought. Again, things will bounce back, and this lake will again flourish. Just not now. I feel it's simply a case of tough reality.
I agree about the other 2 lakes you mentioned but Toolondo just seems to have the really big browns in it and fishing around those trees with shallow diving lures and plastics you can see the fish follow and grab the lure which always makes for exciting fishing, I do fear for it's future though

Return to “Grampians and Surrounds Fishing Reports”