What fish are in Ballarat?

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

What fish are in Ballarat?

Post by seephil » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:09 pm

Hi guys, I'll be heading up to Ballarat tmr and have a couple of hours to kill. I'll be driving some overseas guests to sovereign hill and rather go fishing while they're digging for gold. Lol.
Anyway if any one can help suggest locations, what fish are around and what rigs or lures to use. Would love to hear your tips. I should also add, this will be the 1st time I'll be fishing freshwater.
:notworthy:
Thanks all.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: What to fish are in Ballarat?

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:13 am

I think you will find all your salt water species, at the fish mongers, woolies and coles. :rofl:

But fresh water, there are eel, trout, redfin, carp, cod, yellabelly, silvers, tench and catfish.

Fahro

Re: What fish are in Ballarat?

Post by Fahro » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:09 am

some nice trout have been pulled out of lake wendouree.. tassie devils have been doing the damage..

seephil

Post by seephil » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:54 am

Fahro wrote:some nice trout have been pulled out of lake wendouree.. tassie devils have been doing the damage..
I googled lake wendouree. Looks promising. In ballarat now so heading to bait and tackle first.
Thanks

TrevKing

Post by TrevKing » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:32 pm

I was at Wendouree flicking tassies for 4 hours last weekend, nothing.

Fly rod is much better IMO, if you have one. Too much weed for most lures.
2015 Goals -
-First Squid
-Trout on SP
-First Murray Cod
-Rainbow over 40cm
-Redfin over 40cm

seephil

Post by seephil » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:55 pm

TrevKing wrote:I was at Wendouree flicking tassies for 4 hours last weekend, nothing.

I was in ballarat from 11-5 today. Had to head down to bcf and kmart to pick up some lures. Headed down to st Patrick's point(I think). Had corn as a bait under a float on 1 rod and another casting lures. Definitely lots of weeds but I did land 2 small trouts in the first 30-60mins. They hit the cheapest lures from kmart. I think it's called super trout.
Saw a small tinny about 30metres from the shore where I was and they were smashing them on soft plastics.

Overall :a_goodjob: for me as it was my first time fishing freshwater and had fun in ballarat. Trev king, if I'm out there again, care to Join me?

TrevKing

Post by TrevKing » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:06 am

seephil wrote:
TrevKing wrote:I was at Wendouree flicking tassies for 4 hours last weekend, nothing.

I was in ballarat from 11-5 today. Had to head down to bcf and kmart to pick up some lures. Headed down to st Patrick's point(I think). Had corn as a bait under a float on 1 rod and another casting lures. Definitely lots of weeds but I did land 2 small trouts in the first 30-60mins. They hit the cheapest lures from kmart. I think it's called super trout.
Saw a small tinny about 30metres from the shore where I was and they were smashing them on soft plastics.

Overall :a_goodjob: for me as it was my first time fishing freshwater and had fun in ballarat. Trev king, if I'm out there again, care to Join me?
Will do, it's a great spot.
2015 Goals -
-First Squid
-Trout on SP
-First Murray Cod
-Rainbow over 40cm
-Redfin over 40cm

Return to “Grampians and Surrounds Fishing Reports”