horsham comp march

sedgez900

horsham comp march

Post by sedgez900 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:24 pm

gidday out there anyone fished the Wimmera river going up for comp any tips would b great cheers also would a paternoster rig work :

Birdman

Re: horsham comp march

Post by Birdman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:17 pm

I will be stewarding a stretch of river instead of fishing this year, a two hook paternoster rig would be the go, make sure you get a variety of baits, best to target carp, redfin and yellowbelly, the latter is usually the winning fish, a cod is a possibility but not likely. If you can get them, have corn, worms, small yabbys and gudgeon on hand for the best chances, maybe also some cheese or shrimp may give you a bite from a shy yella, good luck, I might see you there :thumbsup:
My hobbies are fishing and golf, I guess I just like frustration..

sedgez900

Post by sedgez900 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:25 pm

thanks birdman do u reckon around showgrounds would b alrite and what about trying a lure

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:09 pm

Not a lot of advantage in different locations, a mate sounded the river 2weeks ago, very little structure under water and not a lot of variation in depth, fish will be well spread out, re lures, there will be a lot of people fishing, a real lot! Lure might be worth a cast, but it will have to be a straight cast... Look for a bit of contour along the bank, or some exposed tree roots, or where a drain comes into river. Also keep an eye out for shade on the water that you can exploit. Any known good spots will have been pegged out last week. The up side? The conditions will be the same for everyone..
My hobbies are fishing and golf, I guess I just like frustration..

Return to “Grampians and Surrounds Fishing Reports”