Jim's irrigation channel fishing adventures!

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Re: Jim's irrigation channel fishing adventures!

Post by davek » Wed May 04, 2016 6:37 pm

barra mick wrote:
davek wrote:
kenzie101 wrote:No worries, time poor at the moment. Think it's time to look at mounting a campaign for a four day week.
You have my vote :-D cheers davo
thats still one or two days to much
It's just too easy to agree with you BM :victory: , cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Mutley and Scruffy

Post by Mutley and Scruffy » Fri May 06, 2016 8:14 am

kenzie101 wrote:Great report Jim-good to see you back.

I have also been donutting in the channels, still good to get out.

I think that is what happens when you combine a comfy chair, drink and a bit of sun-more likely to doze off than pay attention to the fishing.

Cheers,
Mark.
Most of my fishing of late is done after dark! No sun to doze off so no excuse!

Went out again Wednesday evening. Fished from around 7pm til shortly after 11. For once I used two rods! Started off holding onto one of them. Still didn't stop the fish from stripping my shrimp! After that I changed to a circle hook and left both rods sitting in holders. After about 4 hours and what seemed to be like about 5 kg of shrimp I fed to these fish, I finally picked up one of the culprits...around the 25 cm mark I guess.
160504 cod35.jpg
160504 cod35.jpg (213.54 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
No decent size hits on the night...or none that I saw anyway. Had no problems keeping the shrimp supply up to the 2 rods...not sure how long that will last as the weather cools. The channels are due to be turned off in about 10 days. If we get heavy rain this weekend that also may bring them to a stop. Will still have a go though, want to try fishing a float above a rock bed which inevitably snags me if I cast into it now.
cheers
Jim
Last edited by Mutley and Scruffy on Fri May 06, 2016 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DR.SPESH

Post by DR.SPESH » Fri May 06, 2016 8:29 am

Try a cocktail. Shrimp/worm.

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Fri May 06, 2016 10:14 am

hahaha, when I first read your post I thought you were talking about bowl movements, lol, but I am glad you managed to land a fish, it's always good when a plan comes to fruition. Are there any trout in the channels?

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Fri May 06, 2016 10:25 am

That's a fat little cod. Looks like he's been hogging all your bait

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri May 06, 2016 10:38 am

Mutley and Scruffy wrote:
kenzie101 wrote:Great report Jim-good to see you back.

I have also been donutting in the channels, still good to get out.

I think that is what happens when you combine a comfy chair, drink and a bit of sun-more likely to doze off than pay attention to the fishing.

Cheers,
Mark.
Most of my fishing of late is done after dark! No sun to doze off so no excuse!

Went out again Wednesday evening. Fished from around 7pm til shortly after 11. For once I used two rods! Started off holding onto one of them. Still didn't stop the fish from stripping my shrimp! After that I changed to a circle hook and left both rods sitting in holders. After about 4 hours and what seemed to be like about 5 kg of shrimp I fed to these fish, I finally picked up one of the culprits...around the 25 cm mark I guess.
160504 cod35.jpg
No decent size hits on the night...or none that I saw anyway. Had no problems keeping the shrimp supply up to the 2 rods...not sure how long that will last as the weather cools. The channels are due to be turned off in about 10 days. If we get heavy rain this weekend that also may bring them to a stop. Will still have a go though, want to try fishing a float above a rock bed which inevitably snags me if i cast into it now.
cheers
Jim
Nice little cod there mate :thumbsup:

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Fri May 06, 2016 12:00 pm

Nice one there jim!

davek

Post by davek » Fri May 06, 2016 5:06 pm

Nice little cod Jim, get yourself a cheap rod, the big cod seem to be attracted to them, ;-) cheers davo

Mutley and Scruffy

Post by Mutley and Scruffy » Fri May 06, 2016 6:28 pm

DR.SPESH wrote:Try a cocktail. Shrimp/worm.
I have before and it goes OK, problem is during the dry summer here it is difficult to get worms and I won't buy them. Shrimp are readily available. When the worms do appear it is usually cold here and there are no shrimp!
fishpod wrote:.............................................................................................................. Are there any trout in the channels?
I haven't caught a trout in these channels since I was a teen (I am 50 now)! No doubt though there will be some in there...somewhere! Just something that you may get as by-catch as opposed to targeting them.
Basti wrote:That's a fat little cod. Looks like he's been hogging all your bait
Can't beat shrimp fed cod!
davek wrote:
DR.SPESH wrote:
davek wrote:Good report mate, you would have had plenty of time to think about this while sitting out there in the cold, we know they are there Jim, just got to be patient, cheers davo
Is there still a lot of silver perch in the channels up there?
I haven't caught any in the channels at all yet, cheers davo
I have never got a silver out of the channels in my life! Do you get them above Goulburn Weir Dave? If not, this may be the reason they have not filtered into the channels as I doubt if they would come up into the channels via the Nine Mile Creek.
cheers
Team M & S
It's a dog's life!

davek

Post by davek » Fri May 06, 2016 6:57 pm

Mutley and Scruffy wrote:
DR.SPESH wrote:Try a cocktail. Shrimp/worm.
I have before and it goes OK, problem is during the dry summer here it is difficult to get worms and I won't buy them. Shrimp are readily available. When the worms do appear it is usually cold here and there are no shrimp!
fishpod wrote:.............................................................................................................. Are there any trout in the channels?
I haven't caught a trout in these channels since I was a teen (I am 50 now)! No doubt though there will be some in there...somewhere! Just something that you may get as by-catch as opposed to targeting them.
Basti wrote:That's a fat little cod. Looks like he's been hogging all your bait
Can't beat shrimp fed cod!
davek wrote:
DR.SPESH wrote:
davek wrote:Good report mate, you would have had plenty of time to think about this while sitting out there in the cold, we know they are there Jim, just got to be patient, cheers davo
Is there still a lot of silver perch in the channels up there?
I haven't caught any in the channels at all yet, cheers davo
I have never got a silver out of the channels in my life! Do you get them above Goulburn Weir Dave? If not, this may be the reason they have not filtered into the channels as I doubt if they would come up into the channels via the Nine Mile Creek.
cheers
Team M & S
It's a dog's life!
Yeah there's plenty in the river, cheers davo

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”