Re: Eppalock: The perfect stom

Post by KeenAds » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:57 pm

Good luck!!

yearoftheroos

Post by yearoftheroos » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:04 pm

mazman wrote:
yearoftheroos wrote:
mazman wrote:I'd recomend checking how much rain is going to fall and then postponing
No can do Mazman, as I said above will reevaluate the camping on arrival. Been watching the forecasts daily 20 - 40 mm predicted ATM and not prepared to risk the littleman for the sake of adventure. I appreciate the concern though
https://www.fishranger.com.au/forecast/ ... 20Eppalock different story here...
Cheers.

Much different to this one:
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/vic/north ... y/eppalock
Will keep a close eye on the weather and there is an increasing chance we may spend the first night or 2 in the comfort of a dodgy cabin or onsite caravan.

Should be some cracking fishing Sunday and Monday with the full moon. Ever the optimist :thumbsup:

yearoftheroos

Post by yearoftheroos » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:10 pm

No reception where we were staying and a broken computer upon return have held up my report.

Day 1: the lady at reception was very surprised to see us when we rocked up as everyone else had cancelled on the back of the weather report. Needless to say she was relieved once I agreed to stay in a cabin for the first two nights . Once we unloaded the car we headed down to the lake all set to have a crack. A short walk and we came across an open area between a bunch of dead trees which was teaming with fish breaking the water. My first few casts were well short of where the activity was so I immeadiately changed lures to try and cash in on the action. But still I was falling short with my casts. I kicked off the shoes and proceeded to wade into the water when I noticed schools of bait fish beaching themselves to get away from the feeding frenzy.
This must have continued for 40 minutes and by the time it all died down I'd learnt my first of many lessons for the weekend, asrared as joint think you are something unexpected can always happen.

Fish 1 me 0

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:38 am

What did you learn as fist lesson

yearoftheroos

Post by yearoftheroos » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:55 pm

smile0784 wrote:What did you learn as fist lesson
Don't type on the IPad after too many beers

I was trying to say no matter how prepared you think you are something unexpected always happens. Especially to someone as green as me when it comes to land based fishing.

yearoftheroos

Post by yearoftheroos » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:28 pm

Day 2: After breakfast we spent the morning walking the banks and casting lures in amongst the dead trees in the water with no bites and several snags and a few lost lures and a bent hook. The water was probably 10 - 15 meters down from the same time last year and there were plenty of snags around.

My dad drove up for the afternoon so after lunch we drove around to the other side of the lake to find some deeper water but were faced with a strong on shore breeze and a build up of rain.

After about an hour we packed it in and headed back to camp.
Eppalock5_compressed.jpg
Eppalock4_compressed.jpg

yearoftheroos

Post by yearoftheroos » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:30 pm

Not sure why the pics have loaded side ways?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:32 pm

They look straight to me...

yearoftheroos

Post by yearoftheroos » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:00 pm

Day 3: With most of the day taken up by family commitments we only had a few hours to fish before dark and with a tired and grumpy 7 year old, coupled with the annoying snags I kept hitting with my lures I decided to change tactics. I pulled out a float from my kit, tied on a 30cm leader with a split shot half way down and put on some corn I had soaking in crushed garlic for 2 days. I had several takes over the next 30 minutes but couldn't hook the little bugger. I tried a smaller hook but still couldn't get the job done.
Eppalock3_compressed.jpg
As you can see the little fella was enjoying spending his time on the water

yearoftheroos

Post by yearoftheroos » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:18 pm

Day 4: Headed out quite early feeling fairly confident off the back of a few little bites. Amazing how all you need is a small amount of hope to motivate yourself to get back out there (must be why I still enjoy a hit of golf). Spent a good 3 hours out there with the same set up and getting some nice hits but couldn't bring anything in with one getting snagged around the dead wood and one just breaking off. By about 10 am I was running low on floats and patience so we headed back to camp for a feed and a game of monopoly.

After lunch I took a quick trip back into Bendigo to find a tackle shop to buy some more floats and picked up some worms when I was there. Spent the evening session without a bite even floating some worms and corn and running two rods
Eppalock1_compressed.jpg

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”