One small trout, but it is a start!

Rod Bender

One small trout, but it is a start!

Post by Rod Bender » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:08 pm

Hi All,
Spent less than an hour fishing the local lake at Shepp. I can't remember the last time I fished there. A mate of mine has been catching some good sized redfin there so I thought I would have a go! It has been stocked recently with trout as well. One small trout caught on a #2 Celta - copper blade with red dots. Not one redfin for the session.
Some young fellow had to arrive and put his remote controlled boat in the water about 10 meters away from where I am fishing - very annoying!!!!
Had a 'hit' from a trout which may have been 35 - 40cm so this kept me interested. Just a small 'bump' was felt when it hit and if I hadn't of seen the fish I would have probably thought it was about the size of the one below. It was moving so fast I think it pretty well missed the lure and just brushed up against it as it passed. I honestly think they must have a lot of 'misses' when they are feeding on baitfish.
thanks
Jim
Attachments
small trout.jpg
small trout.jpg (161.51 KiB) Viewed 628 times
Last edited by Rod Bender on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

malleestump

Re: One small trout, but it is start!

Post by malleestump » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:05 pm

It is a mall trout Jim if you think it came from the stocking program This was one I caught a couple of years ago at Kennington.I seen them in a bucket putting them into the lake and all were this size.

If you are looking for the person to change your life.look in the mirror .Cheers gus

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

One small trout, but it is start!

Post by Brett » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:37 pm

Depends on the waterway, the dpi stock a variety of sizes. Some are big enough to be caught the day of release, others are yearlings and need time to grow.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:59 pm

malleestump wrote:It is a mall trout Jim if you think it came from the stocking program
Definitely a stocked trout. No natural spawning takes place in this lake and I think the bigger one that I missed was a 'ready to catch' one, except it wasn't ready to be caught!
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

malleestump

Post by malleestump » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:49 pm

Brett wrote:Depends on the waterway, the dpi stock a variety of sizes. Some are big enough to be caught the day of release, others are yearlings and need time to grow.
Yes Brett the ones that are stocked in the lakes for the school holidays are ready to take or released 45cm plus
If you are looking for the person to change your life.look in the mirror .Cheers gus

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”