Central Victorian Storages

drew 2

Re: Central Victorian Storages

Post by drew 2 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:35 am

G'day Gus :thumbsup: good to hear from you mate :thumbsup: we'll have to catch up for a :cheers: or 2 once your back firing on all cylinders.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:50 pm

Truedogz wrote:I was out that way on Tuesday and threw a rod in the truck just in case. I ended up fishing Upper Coliban for a couple of hours on dusk. I landed one modest sized reddie. Some nice country and the first time I wet a line for many months.

Those lakes near Kyneton sometimes produce quality fish. My dad was a honorary fishing inspector and in 1947 he landed a 6 pound 11 ounce brown from Lauriston. From scale samples the Fisheries and Game department aged the fish at two years old - an incredible growth rate. The best bait back then for big trout were 'waggas'. This was a small redfin partially dried in the sun. In that condition they floated up off the bottom being obvious to a hungry trout.

All three lakes can be fickle with Malmsbury having the reputation of producing the biggest trout these days.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
Another great post mate.

With these three lakes being only a half hour drive up the road from me, I'm quite familiar with them. Specifically Lauriston. Interesting what you say regarding Malmsbury providing bigger fish. Water levels have not been great in recent times, from my understanding mainly due to issues with the dam wall therefore management letting water go from this res regularly. The condition of the fish really hasn't been great. Lauriston water levels on the other hand are much more stable. I've always been of the belief that the bigger fish would come from here. I do know that Lauriston holds double figure trout. I've seen them roaching during the warmer months. Awesome sight. I've banked a few in the 2-3kg range, in great nic too, but that's been it for me so far. Not enough fish stocked in here considering the size of it though I reckon. The redfin population isn't bad though. I've got one on my wall that went 48cms, but have had follow-ups by fish that would have had to have been mid 50's at least. Few and far between, but there are some monsters lurking...

A question for you please mate...what can you tell me about the resident cod/yella populations? I know of a couple of blokes who put a 70-80cm cod back in coliban when it re-filled after the last drought. It must have come over the spillway and ended up in one of the small pools below. I've also heard whispers of yellas roundabouts, but unconfirmed. Some insight would be very interesting, if you happen to know anything. Thanks mate.

Cheers,
Redhunter

malleestump

Post by malleestump » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:54 pm

Redhunter sorry cannot tell you much about the Coliban mate .

Hey Drew good to hear from you mate I should be tossing a bait by October I think.Probably need someone to wind in the big bugger though.Heard from J Rivett through Face book.he moved from Swanhill after 8 yrs now lives at Wyndhamvale near Werribee cheers gus

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:37 pm

Good to hear from you Gus :thumbsup: John has been on here as well :-D
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

malleestump

Post by malleestump » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:51 pm

Good day Boony. The Tiges are roaring at the right time of the year mate.I seen them against the Saints and they couldn't do anything right that night.send me johns sign in name mate cheers gus

Boonanza

Post by Boonanza » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:06 pm

malleestump wrote:Good day Boony. The Tiges are roaring at the right time of the year mate.I seen them against the Saints and they couldn't do anything right that night.send me johns sign in name mate cheers gus
Here it is Gus his username is LazyJohnno
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=15734

Bob Nudd

Post by Bob Nudd » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:35 pm

Redhunter wrote:With these three lakes being only a half hour drive up the road from me, I'm quite familiar with them. Specifically Lauriston. Interesting what you say regarding Malmsbury providing bigger fish. Water levels have not been great in recent times, from my understanding mainly due to issues with the dam wall therefore management letting water go from this res regularly. The condition of the fish really hasn't been great. Lauriston water levels on the other hand are much more stable. I've always been of the belief that the bigger fish would come from here. I do know that Lauriston holds double figure trout. I've seen them roaching during the warmer months. Awesome sight. I've banked a few in the 2-3kg range, in great nic too, but that's been it for me so far. Not enough fish stocked in here considering the size of it though I reckon. The redfin population isn't bad though. I've got one on my wall that went 48cms, but have had follow-ups by fish that would have had to have been mid 50's at least. Few and far between, but there are some monsters lurking...
Is the Lauriston western shore area accessible yet? I used to fish Lauriston a lot but it turned into a major bogan attraction and they and especially their pest kids make fishing there almost unbearable.

TheNix
Has liked: 33 times

Post by TheNix » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:47 pm

Now that the Malmsbury is full again I'll going to give it a go. Last year went there twice over a three week period and I was getting some huge crap (up to 50cm long) and some great reddies too.

Boonanza

Post by Boonanza » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:00 pm

Apparently Lauriston is open and also free to get in now.

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”