Laanecoorie Res

Brownie

Laanecoorie Res

Post by Brownie » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:19 pm

Hi guys, went out for a look at Laanecoorie Res today. Usually good for reddies and yellows, mostly reds. But nah, before I even pulled up you could see a mass of green algae all around the bank stretching out into deeper water. Total disappointment. We have had just recently some good rain in the last 2 weeks in the area but you wouldn't know it by the looks of things. Didn't even bother stopping to fish. Just went with the misses into the bush nearby and had our lunch, bit if a walk and went home. Bummer.
Not looking flash in Central Vic at the moment.

Thomassssss

Re: Laanecoorie Res

Post by Thomassssss » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:48 am

Thanks for the report, I am in Castlemaine and experiencing similar disappointment at the moment.. what other reservoirs have you tried recently? I was talking to a fella last night about a decent stream by tallaroop that he says holds some good trout, or at least has in the past. Most success I’ve had lately was at exhibition pass in my canoe with my brother, caught about 10 reddies, 3 of a good eating size. Had a go land based there after that and nothing...

To be honest I’m thinking about moving to a more a fertile environment... but who knows how long it will be til that’s a reality.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:05 pm

Bugger about the water

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:16 pm

That is a disappointment but thanks for letting us know

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:00 pm

Hey mate. How are the Mac Perch going at Expedition pass Res? They were released there a few yes ago now as a trial. Any about? I tried there about a yr ago but no joy. Did hear that it may have been a failure.

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:01 pm

Putting Macca fingerlings in a small reservoir like Expedition Pass which is full of Redfin and with no feeder stream to breed in as well in is a sure way to waste a scarce resource. One really wonders why Vic Fisheries do such a crazy thing when there are many far better places to stock the few Macca fingerlings they produce each year. I have seen a couple of reports of Maccas being caught there on other forums but very few.

Paul

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:50 pm

Thats a bugger! If you're keen on the reddies and the odd yella, how about eppalock?

Thomassssss

Post by Thomassssss » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:44 pm

I caught one Macca there in August, no bigger than 20cm. I have heard the odd report here and there of people catching them of a similar size. Hard to say how they are going, but I only catch Redfin there otherwise.

Redhunter wrote:Thats a bugger! If you're keen on the reddies and the odd yella, how about eppalock?
How is Eppalock fishing at the moment?

Kangaron

Post by Kangaron » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:04 am

Eppalock and Cairn Curren are, and have been, under a blur/green algae alert since mid December last year.
Bugger about Lanacoorie joining the list. Will just fish the Loddon till they all clear up.

Thomassssss

Post by Thomassssss » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:04 am

Kangaron wrote:Eppalock and Cairn Curren are, and have been, under a blur/green algae alert since mid December last year.
Bugger about Lanacoorie joining the list. Will just fish the Loddon till they all clear up.
Which sections of the Loddon do you fish? Are any parts near Newstead or even Glenluce worth a try?

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”